We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How safe for two white women to travel..........

Which Maputo hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
London, United...
5 posts
Save Topic
How safe for two white women to travel..........

Family in Joburg think we're MAD - two white women - to be travelling by bus up to Nampula this December. They say that sections of the road are terrible, vulnerable to being washed away, that we might be raped, that the heat will kill us and the police are the most corrupt in Africa.

How true is is this, in people's opinions?

Maputo, Mozambique
Destination Expert
for Mozambique
Level Contributor
884 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How safe for two white women to travel..........

Yes sections of the road are terrible (Gorongosa-Caia)

Yes it is hot

Yes the police are amongst the most corrupt in Africa (only a problem if you're driving or not carrying your passport)

Its much safer travelling in Mozambique than many many other African countries. Just take the usual precautions. Don't walk around in unsafe areas late at night...then you are generally safe.

London, United...
5 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: How safe for two white women to travel..........

Thank you so much.

seattle
1 post
Save Reply
3. Re: How safe for two white women to travel..........

Before you decide to travel to Nampula, I would strongly recommend looking at embassy travel warnings as there are many warnings about travel in Sofala right now (Nov). Anything south of Beira is supposed to be fine. I'm in Tofo and have been in Moz for a week. It's gorgeous!

Maputo, Mozambique
Destination Expert
for Mozambique
Level Contributor
884 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How safe for two white women to travel..........

Good point, things have changed in the last six weeks. Please check this website, it has daily updates of the political situation and the confrontation points.

mozambicanhotels.com/tourist-information/tra…

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
4,774 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How safe for two white women to travel..........

I was there for three days and two of them was

stopped by police for indentity check and you

must have I.D.

Apparently it's normal occurrence

6. Re: How safe for two white women to travel..........

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 November 2014, 06:19