We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

taxi or bus

Which Maputo hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Johannesburg, South...
13 posts
Save Topic
taxi or bus

Which is best to travel in. taxi or bus when going to ponto do ouro from maputo?

Brighton, United...
Level Contributor
83 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: taxi or bus

taxis will not make it to ponto do ouro. the car has to be 4x4. Small taxis will only get you around Maputo and Matola.

Johannesburg, South...
13 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: taxi or bus

So the only option i have is the bus?

Maputo, Mozambique
Destination Expert
for Mozambique
Level Contributor
901 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: taxi or bus

Yes, the only option you have is a MINI bus. These are little white vans. In South Africa you call them taxis I think, hence the confusion. I've always wondered, if South Africans call minivans taxis, what do you call taxis?

Brighton, United...
Level Contributor
83 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: taxi or bus

taxi is a bus??? The only transport that goes to Ponta is little minivans. Crammed in like sardines.

Johannesburg, South...
13 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: taxi or bus

we will be strong i guess as we want to be in Ponto Do Ouro terribly. We call the mini vans taxis in SA.

Thank you so much for your help guys really appreciate it.

Brighton, United...
Level Contributor
83 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: taxi or bus

Hi Thandie, if minivans are called taxis, what do you call taxis?

Johannesburg, South...
13 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: taxi or bus

We call them taxis as well. Then a bus to us is that big bus like your greyhound and city to city. Anything smaller than that its a taxi.

Brighton, United...
Level Contributor
83 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: taxi or bus

This must cause so much confusion when South Africans leave South Africa. I've also heard that you call traffic lights "robots", is this true???

Johannesburg, South...
13 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: taxi or bus

yes its true we call them robots. the language differs hey.

Johannesburg, South...
13 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: taxi or bus

Ok guys i just found out there is another option to get to ponto do ouro faster. apparently if we use Kosibay border post its an hr drive to ponto do ouro...is it true as we nt sure about it.. n if its true can we get transport from kosibay border to ponto ouro?..coz we realized the Maputo route is too long.