We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fish River Canyon to Sossusvlei

Norfolk
Level Contributor
183 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Fish River Canyon to Sossusvlei

Can anyone tell me if this is feasible to drive in a day and what would be the recommended route? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,591 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Fish River Canyon to Sossusvlei

Hi,

It would depend where you start from (FRC is quite a large area), what route you take and how fast you drive, but, at a push, I think it might be feasible in a day.

Probably not pleasant or desirable, but feasible.

You could use the tarred B1 north to Mariental, the west on the C19 (gravel). That's probably the fastest.

Or, a much more scenic route is the C13 / C14, which borders the Namib Naukluft park most of the way. I don't think you could do the whole route safely in a day. (You could break the speed limit or drive after dark, but neither is safe).

I'd advise looking for an overnight stop, perhaps at Klein Aus Vista, or further north, eg around Duwisib Castle.

Pretoria, South...
Level Contributor
1,802 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Fish River Canyon to Sossusvlei

I agree with Peter that it's a long way to drive in a day, but it is possible.

We've driven by coach from Aussenkehr (on the Orange River) through to Hobas (Fish River Canyon) and then on to Seeheim to Helmeringshauzen and then to our lodge in the Nubib Mountains in a single day. It was tough driving, and we also had a major puncture in Goageb. It's possible, but not necessarily recommended.

A beautiful route to use (I agree with Peter) is via Aus, and then along to Sossusvlei the next day. The route I prefer is along the D707, where you can see the dunes in the background. But the C14/C19 route is also great.

In addition to Klein Aus Vista, I can recommend the Bahnhof Hotel in Aus. A real gem in the desert!

Enjoy the trip!

Norfolk
Level Contributor
183 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Fish River Canyon to Sossusvlei

Thanks for the advice - thought it would be too much in a day and the route from Aus having had an overnight stop will be more appealing. Some maps say there is a C27 route from Helmeringhauser - maybe this is also the C13. Thanks for taking the time to respond.

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,591 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Fish River Canyon to Sossusvlei

I'd agree the D707 is a very scenic route, even by Namibian standards. The map I was looking at wasn't that good and didn't have the D-roads labelled.

Cary, North Carolina
Level Contributor
385 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Fish River Canyon to Sossusvlei

Hi

The trip from the canyon to Sossuvlei is doable in one day, although it is quite a long way, especially for overseas tourists. The most scenic route to take would be to drive to Aus, then north through the 60km wide plain and turn left at the end of the plain. That route hugs the Namib Desert all the way north to Sossuvlei. Beware there are no petrol stations, no shops, no auto repair shops, just beautiful scenery.

Werner

Eko Tracks

Pretoria, South...
Level Contributor
1,802 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Fish River Canyon to Sossusvlei

Thanks, Werner, for the reminder about shops and filling stations along the D707/C27 route to Sesriem.

I remember the last time we stopped at Betta. Although there's a filling station marked there, it's touch and go as to whether they have fuel (but Sesriem usually has). On this occasion, they did have fuel. But more amazingly, they had some incredibly awesome scones with strawberry jam and fresh cream. Stunning! In the middle of a parched desert! Out of this world! But they virtually nothing else. However, I wouldn't rely on the scones or the fuel.

7. Re: Fish River Canyon to Sossusvlei

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 October 2009, 03:15