We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visit to Kolmanskop

JEFFREYSBAY
6 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Visit to Kolmanskop

How long would an organised tour take?Does this imply a lot of walking too?We are a group of elderly people!

If you go on your own can you go with an odinary sedan car?

What are the dos and donts?

Joey

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,767 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Visit to Kolmanskop

Hi

An organised tour takes about 45 minutes,if memory serves me well. The walking would be on sand in some cases. You can reach the town by normal car. But you will still need to walk about to see the various buildings.

Don't know any "dos and don'ts". I went about 5 years ago: entrance was paid for at the Luderitz tourist office.

JEFFREYSBAY
6 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Visit to Kolmanskop

Thank you for the info.It helps a lot.

Bath UK
Destination Expert
for Bath
Level Contributor
2,497 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Visit to Kolmanskop

Hi

Kolmanskop is just a few miles inland from Luderitz and a few yards off the highway. It is very easy driving.

I am guessing that the tour guides tailor the tour to the needs of the tourists. The majority of the tour is on hard ground (maybe a few steps).

I can't imagine that we walked more than 1/4 mile, and the buildings they take you into are robust.

That said, you could wander around afterwards (this was about 4 years ago).

For the (only marginally) more intrepid, a trip into the Sperrgebeit is a lot more fun...the old mining towns really are deserted and the coastline is great.

JEFFREYSBAY
6 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Visit to Kolmanskop

Thank you very much!

Cary, North Carolina
Level Contributor
385 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Visit to Kolmanskop

Hi

As mentioned before, you can drive there with your own car, the parking area is next to the tar road. The tour takes about one hour and the some time to walk around a bit. Remember it used to be a small minig town.

Just FYI - My grandfather worked in Kolmanskuppe and it is also where my mother was born.

Werner

Eko Tracks

JEFFREYSBAY
6 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Visit to Kolmanskop

Werner

Thanks for sharing that information.For you as family it must be indeed a special place.

7. Re: Visit to Kolmanskop

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 October 2009, 20:21