We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

best way to go

dorset
Level Contributor
179 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
best way to go

Like the idea of Namibia both for photographic opportunities and the wild life. Have been to Kenya and Tanzania on safari but with orgaised everything via First Choice. Can the experts recommend the best way to see the country? The best time to go? A good company to travel with? We are 2 over 50's (if that makes a difference!)

Berks UK
Level Contributor
187 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: best way to go

My suggestion would be go in October when its hot and not much greenery which makes game spotting easier. Do it all yourself , book your own flights with Air Namibia, book a 4x4 bakkie over the internet, it's safer and better for spotting everything, fuel cheap so don't worry about cost of that. Look at postings on here and you will soon have plenty of ideas where to stay..book them over the net too. Maybe a rough guide is to draw your line north of Windhoek and stay left for two weeks, in that time you could spend a couple of days over in the desert area, then up to Damaraland for the cracking scenery, on up to Etosha for the game, think about booking asap for that, then work you way back to Windhoek. You will find it very easy to drive Namibia though alot of it is on gravel roads but you get used to that in five minutes. We too are two 50's ( just ) and it really is just so easy to do it. I can supply you with some great places to stay and truck to hire if you want more info but to be honest it's all on here somewhere..just book up Etosha early as you don't want to miss there.

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
37,436 posts
360 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: best way to go

As one with a head start on 50 somethings I can say age makes no difference other than you may prefer a little more comfort in your accommodation.

Before racing in with advice can you let us know how long you propose to take over the trip? Whistle stop tour or leisurely pace? Rand is weak at the moment so even the £ will get you value.

Step 1. Get the Bradt guide to Namibia by McIntire.

2. Read up and decide what you would like to do although given your interests Damaraland and Etosha will be up there as must do's.

As saintadi says, 'our' autumn is best although it is good all year.

3. Take a look at Carboard Box if you want a good Agent in Namibia to do the leg work. www.namibian.org

but I just got my flights and arranged a hire car through Avis in UK. It is THAT easy!

Waiting for your your further advices.

Cary, North Carolina
Level Contributor
385 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: best way to go

Hi

I agree, one needs more info to give some valuable comments. With regard to weather, the high season is from about April to September when the days the days are warm (even in winter) but the nights are cold to very cold (typically June - Aug and it depends on the location). The other times of the year are quiet hot to travel.

Werner

Eko Tracks

dorset
Level Contributor
179 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: best way to go

Thank you very much for your comments. Sorry to take so long to get back to TA! We usually like to go in November. Is it very different to October? To go for 3 weeks at the most and to have some really chilling out time. Any further suggestions please.

Many thanks again for the advice and links so far.

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
37,436 posts
360 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: best way to go

November is getting hotter ready for the rains, if they come, in December. But it will be quite parched so the animals will be more visible and need to come to rivers/waterholes to drink etc.,

Namibia is an easy country to get around in. Just pck up a car at the airport which you can book in advance from UK via Avis or Hertz.

Get a ground agent to arrange your night stops based on where you want to go. I find this much easier and more practical than trying to juggle accommodation myself by EMail.

Berks UK
Level Contributor
187 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: best way to go

It is a lot of fun arranging it yourself

Cary, North Carolina
Level Contributor
385 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: best way to go

Hi

November is also referred to the dry hot season and overall it can be quiet hot during the day, 35 centigrade or more is not uncommon. R=The best time to travel is during winter (May - Aug/Sept) and the game viewing is as good as in Nov.

Werner

Eko Tracks

Berks UK
Level Contributor
187 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: best way to go

Don't forget we are from England and the chance of somewhere dry and hot is siezed upon with joy :)

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
37,436 posts
360 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: best way to go

Less crowded in November too. Like Saintadi says. We can handle dry and hot. (although I do tend to lie up in the shade after lunch just like the cats.)

dorset
Level Contributor
179 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: best way to go

What guide book would you recommend - the Bradt guide, the Footprints or another?

Cheers