We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Explore worldwide

Ingatestone
Level Contributor
49 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Explore worldwide

I'm thinking of booking with Explore Worldwide.

Has anyone been with them and what is their experience ? we are a couple 50 + so wondered if we would be oldies or is there a good mix of ages ?

Thinking of doing the desert to delta trip, has anyone done this one ? Are the drives very long and does it get boring or is there a lot to see during the drives ?

Thanks

New Zealand
Level Contributor
2,085 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Explore worldwide

Haven't travelled with Explore, but from what I hear, very good but at the top end of the scale pricewise.From friends reccs, there'll be a good age mix and a lot of topenders(older...)

Their price structure doesn't encourage the young budget, boozy backpacker, and that can be good as you'll get a more mature mix of interesting, well travelled companions.

Have a good look around other companies too.You seem to be paying a lot for what is 14 nights camping basically.$NZ4991 quoted for 19 days.We're on a fully guided, fully accom'd tour in SA for 16 nights for $1500NZ less and that's just for 2 of us by comparison.

But that tour does have a very good itinerary and may very well be worth every dollar.

Cary, North Carolina
Level Contributor
385 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Explore worldwide

I haven't seen the itinerary, but distances between the typical "must see" attractions in Namibia are generally far. It depends what your interest is e.g. some people find it boring to travel through the Namib Desert while others find it fascinating.

Werner

Eko Tracks

New Zealand
Level Contributor
2,085 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Explore worldwide

Some days will have long drive days as roads may be gravel and speeds must not be too high for the conditions.

As for boring , it's as boring as you allow it to be.

Take an interest in the topography.The geology.The plant life.Even the humble termite mounds I found fascinating.

On our trip I remarked to our guide that during the 5 km distance we had passed red ,tan, grey and khakhi termite mounds.Others had never even looked!But those colours in those mounds tell you secrets about the many different soil types we'd travelled.The geology of the land.

Even the shape, how high they are built, the lean at the top as the sun dries one side quicker..

Don't know about others, but this is fascinating.This is why we travel. To observe and learn.

But others will find that same 5kms boring.... So it is up to you.

Mill Valley...
Level Contributor
14 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Explore worldwide

Hi, I have travelled with Explore twice and enjoyed both tours very much. The first trip was to Turkey, the second to Morocco. They are well organized, reasonably priced tours in my opinion. I would highly recommend them. Right now I am looking at a Falls to Cape tour w/ Gap Adventures, though Explore has a similar tour (different dates, and maybe a bit higher price). As far as age goes, I am 56 and I guess I was about 52 when I went on the Turkey tour. For that one I was one of the younger people. The group of about 16 was wonderful -- probably from 30 to 75 years. The Morocco group was a little younger, I was about mid range though in much better shape than many of the people younger than me! Some of the tours do involve long drives, so you have to be up for that. The only other tour I've done was w/ Imaginative Traveller, a year ago through Rajasthan --- loved that, too. I cannot wait to get to Africa (I hope in Sept / Oct).

Ingatestone
Level Contributor
49 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Explore worldwide

Thanks for all the replies.

Great to hear that they seem to be well organised and people were happy with their tours.

The long drives don't worry us as we're quite happy to just watch the scenery etc... We do like a good mix of ages, which makes it always more fun and interesting. But hopefully as the tour is fairly strenous it will atract likeminded people ! It is rather expensive but not sure that we could cut it down a lot in price. We have decided not to go with the one where they are camping every night, that would make it a lot cheaper, but again we like a good mix of accomodation.

Has anyone done the desert and delta trip ?

The tour is 20 days leaving from London and flying straight to Windhoek and then doing the usual in namibia, Sesriem, Sossuvlei,Swakopmund,seal Colony,Damarland,petrified forest,Etosha park,Popa Falls,Moremi GR, Okavanga Delta, Kahalari Desert and back to Winkhoek !!

Any good or too much ?

Caty

Fordingbridge...
Level Contributor
2,035 posts
177 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Explore worldwide

Wow, that's a busy itinerary. We've just spent 19 very enjoyable days with 8 stops including Windhoek forthe first night. We spent 2 or 3 nights at all stops but didn't go south of Sossusvlei or north of Etosah. We were self driving & found the pace perfect. Obviously we didn't see everything that this wonderful country has to offer which means we'll have to return!!!!

Don't know your age, we're 'baby boomers' so maybe we need a gentler pace! If you want some independent local advice try David & infotours in Windhoek. Also known as ATI holidays.

New Zealand
Level Contributor
2,085 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Explore worldwide

Hi Beak, on this forum is a GAP Cape Town Windhoek trip report you may be interested in-

tripadvisor.com/…13817215

Alexandria, Virginia
Level Contributor
67 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Explore worldwide

I've just returned from an Explore Worldwide tour of Turkey, 15 days called "Asia Minor Explorer." I also did "Moorish Andalusia" in Spain with Explore in 2002. I enjoyed both very much. I learned about Explore from a British friend who took their trips.

Explore can offer cheaper prices because it is a budget operation in terms of hotels. They are usually smaller, locally-owned 2-star places, not the first-class places many Americans expect. Travel is by small buses and sometimes in Spain by public transportation.

On both trips, the quality of the hotels varied widely from very good to awful, with most being ok. The hotel we had in Istanbul was really bad--in a run-down-looking neighborhood as was the one in Seville in Spain.

In each case the other travelers were great companions. The age range in Turkey was around 30 to 72, with most 40s and 50s. In Spain, most people were in ther 30s, but one man was 78. Several were in their 40s and 50s.

Most of the travelers are British and have taken other Explore trips and traveled widely to exotic places like Nambia, Iran, Sri Lanka. etc. They are adventurous and interesting people.

In Spain, our guide was British, She was fluent in Spanish and very well organized. We had local guides at places such as the Alhambra and the mosque in Cordaba. When she organized a group dinner, it was excellent and good value for money.

In Turkey, we had a Turkish tour leader who was also our guide at the sites. I would have prefered to have an expert at each site instead of someone with general knowledge. He was not good with logistics, and we often ran late and had to cut site visits short. He also took us to tourist restaurants with boring food and high-priced set menus until we rebelled.

Long-time Explore travelers were upset because that is not how Explore ususally operates. They said the company changed hands a few years ago and that the quality is not as high now.

Still, Turkey is fabulous and I enjoyed the trip. I recommended Explore to another friend who went to Eastern Turkey and he was pleased with the trip.

Perth
Level Contributor
7 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Explore worldwide

Hi There

We have never travelled with Explore but on our last trip to Namibia we did a day tour with a whole group of travellers on an Explore Trip. Their age range was mid 30s to 70s and seemed to be fairly impressed with the trip. Basic accomodation or camping but packed full of content. The only adverse comments from some of the group is that they felt a little bit rushed - wanted to take their time or spend longer in some places but obviously couldn't. The general feeling we got from speaking to them is that the Explore Trips gave an excellent 'overview' of a country, enabling you to come back at a later date to explore the parts that interested you in greater depth.

10. Re: Explore worldwide

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 April 2010, 06:19