We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

general costs of things

Brisbane
Level Contributor
326 posts
141 reviews
Save Topic
general costs of things

Hi All,

Tried searching however to no avail. To work out a rough budget for my 5 week trip i was hoping somebody could tell me the cost of alot of just general things....such as...1. Corolla hire for one week 2. Corrolla hire for 4 weeks.[surely its cheaper for longer? Price of 4x4 per week? 3.Park entry fees per day ?

4. Very average cost of basic room through out the country?

5. price of a bottle of water/Coke ? 6. Petrol price ?

Anything else i should know and havent included??

cheers for any tips or hints in advance :]

Cary, North Carolina
Level Contributor
385 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: general costs of things

I don't have all the prices but I can give you some ideas. Prices of clothes have increased tremendously over the years and costs about the same as in the USA. A good meal in a restaurant costs about US$10-15 which is about half of what it costs in the USA.

A 2 bed room at a good clean guesthouse costs about N$450 (US$60) in Windhoek and Swakopmund, maybe cheaper in the country. lodges are typically more expensive from about US$300 and up.

I have also searched for a vehicle for 2010 and came up with this. The typical international car rental companies like Avis, Hertz etc. are more expensive than a local Namibian company. You could save about US$1000 over a 2 week period rentig a small car. Visit the CARAN website (Car Rental Association of Namibia) and search the listed reputable companies. A Toyota Corolla for 2 weeks cost about US$1200 and a 4x4 closer to US$2000. For most typical tourist areas you don't need a 4x4, except when you go to Kaokoland, Bushmanland etc. The necessity of having to have a a 4x4 is a bit overrated, except that you have more ground clearance on the gravel roads.

Werner

Eko Tracks

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,591 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: general costs of things

NWR is the agency who run the parks. I'm sure their web site has fees.

AT a rough guess, water and petrol are much the same the world over, except in high tax Europe.

basic rooms are not available all over, so this might not help you much.

Cary, North Carolina
Level Contributor
385 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: general costs of things

Thanks for the correction, I have forgotten the exact dept. which is NWR (Namibia Wildlife Resorts).

Werner

Eko Tracks

Brisbane
Level Contributor
326 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: general costs of things

Werner: Thanks so much for that very handy info. I should have stated local companies for car hire as Avis etc are always expensive. Those prices you mentioned are staggering for basically a 3 rd World country especially when one takes in the present cost of living in Nam.

Funny enough i just paid $210 pw in Oman for a brand new Landcruiser.....what a contrast eh!! :}

You say lodges are $300 and up....is that per night or week ??

Peter: Thanks also for your reply. :] Just in regards to petrol prices they are vastly different all over the world so can you be more specific with the cost of petrol in Namibia. It could be a big impost on the travel budget if i dont work that in.

Cheers again

Hermanus, South...
Level Contributor
433 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: general costs of things

Petrol is approx N$7.4 per litre but this obviously varies from time to time and location to location.

The entry fees for NWR parks ie Etosha NP, Ai Ais and Fish River Canyon, Cape Cross, Sesriem, Waterberg and Skeleton Coast are N$80 per person and N$10 for your vehicle, children up to 16 yrs old are free.

Petrified Forest is N$25 per adult, N$20 per child and N$5 for the vehicle

Tyfelfontein is N$30 per adult, N$25 per child and N$10 for the vehicle.

Brandberg White Lady is N$30 per adult and N$25 per child.

For local car hire companies you can try Camping Car Hire, Caprivi Car Hire, Okavango Car Hire they are sometimes cheaper than the international companies. Our roads are not all great, and the cars take a lot of punishment and so the daily rental fees are higher than in a country where you are basically pootling along a tar road.

Re: "Those prices you mentioned are staggering for basically a 3 rd World country especially when one takes in the present cost of living in Nam".......I live in Nam and the cost of living here is much more expensive than living in the neighbouring South Africa. Food is expensive, rents are high, communications bills, electric, water are all very high and overall wages are generally fairly low.

Most Namibians would be pretty offended to be called a 3rd world country as well.

You won't find a lodge for $300 a week, the prices do vary quite considerably from roughly N$900 a night per person for somewhere like Hobatere Lodge or Palmwag Lodge to N$4000 per person for Wolwedans or Ongava

Gemma Dry - Safari Manager - Truly Africa Tours

Norfolk
Level Contributor
183 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: general costs of things

Can I suggest you have a look at Carboardbox Travel's website (based in Windhoek). They have a very comprehensive site and they have listed by region all the lodges/ camp sites you could ever think of, including the up to date charges and yes a fair proportion of the lodges know how to charge! Supply and demand maybe?

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,591 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: general costs of things

"prices they are vastly different all over the world "

Not really. The price of oil is set globally, and then countries add a bit of tax, or a lot of tax.

Anyway, since you don't know how far you are driving or what mileage you'll achieve, I'm not sure the cost of a litre actually helps that much.

And don't confuse the cost of living with the cost of tourism. Some countries are very poor, but visiting them is relatively high.

Enjoy

Brisbane
Level Contributor
326 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: general costs of things

Much appreciated Gemma for your informative post. Thats exactly what i was looking for. Also that petrol price isnt that bad really. :]

Regarding "the 3rd world" comment.........it wasnt meant to offend anybody and i apologise. I based it on....The Third World's economies are distorted by dependence upon exportation of primary products, to the First and Second worlds, in return for finished products. After liberation from colonial rule in the 1950s - 1970s, many Third World nations were illiterate, over-populated, and politically unstable. This was particularly true of Africa, where nation-states were artificially created by European colonial powers in order to control populations by imposing local, minority-rule governments, indifferent to local social and cultural reality.

I should have used the politically correct " two thirds world"

Apologies !!

Brisbane
Level Contributor
326 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: general costs of things

I can see where you are coming from Peter.

"Anyway, since you don't know how far you are driving or what mileage you'll achieve, I'm not sure the cost of a litre actually helps that much."

Its which comes first really....the horse or the cart !!

It is most important to know the price of petrol so i can budget for X miles beforehand. Of course if the price was say $6 a litre...obviously i'm not going to go far and THEN i would adjust my travelling to fewer places. I plan to do 3000k's so my strange question is relevant.

Regarding petrol prices are the same.......no no no. My last trip i paid 40c a litre[Oman ] and the previous trip [West Papua ] i paid $12 a litre [no tax ]

Taxes etc are irrelevant....its more supply and demand in the particular area that dictates....vis. West Papua

Cheers again Peter [ your post count is truly amazing] :]

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,591 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: general costs of things

If you knock out the extremes (eg an oil-producing nation, and a remote place with virtually no roads), then I think you'll find fuel is much the same, give or take 25%

<<<< ..Third World nations were illiterate, over-populated, and politically unstable. This was particularly true of Africa >>>>

When you are in a hole, the usual advice is to stop digging... :-)