We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

minibus

monaghan
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Topic
minibus

i am a lone traveler and will be in namibia in early june will spend some days in windhoek and swakopmund then i will head to outjo as i am a lone traveler i will mostly travel by bus ,would like 2 khow can i ger from outjo 2 opuwo by mini bus then on 2 kakima mulilo i will have about 3 weeks , i see there is lots of safaris from windhoek but i hope 2 days in etosha np from outjo would that be possable.

thanks benen

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,791 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: minibus

Hi benen,

You'll probably get better local advice in the country, but I think you will find the buses don't run to a timetable. They tend to go when full, so you could spend a lot of time hanging around at petrol stations.

Lots of single travellers take a tour and share the experience with a guide and fellow travellers. Plenty of recommendations already on here, but do ask if you need details.

As far as I know, no minubuses go to Etosha, so I'm not sure what your transport options are there?

I think you'll be surprised at the distances involved in getting from A to B, so you may want to re-think the transport, to make the most of your 3 weeks.

cheers

Peter

monaghan
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: minibus

can u give me some details of tours and price peter

thanks benen1

Cary, North Carolina
Level Contributor
385 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: minibus

The minibuses are basically a type of public transportation and go only between larger cities e.g. Windhoek to the coast, Windhoek to Ovamboland. They don't go to Etosha. You have to go with a tour company and there are many companies who offer short or longer trips up north. many companies are based in Whk.

Werner

Eko Tracks

Hermanus, South...
Level Contributor
433 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: minibus

The Intercape bus will get you to most major towns from Windhoek,

Swakop

Walvis

Otjiwarongo

Tsumeb

Grootfontein

Rundu

Kongola

Katima Mulilo

There is also a minibus that goes at least as far as Rundu from Windhoek, I will have to check on the details for that, but wouldn't really recommend it (we call it the suicide bus, because quite frankly you would rather throw yourself off a bridge than travel in it for any length of time.)

Mushara Lodge in Eastern Etosha and Namib Naukluft Lodge in Sesriem have a shuttle service if you stay at their lodges....but I am guessing if you want to 'bus' it then you are doing that to save money so I would rather recommend you maybe take a trip with Wild Dog Safaris or Chameleon...good value for money and they also go up North.

Outjo to Opuwo by minibus isn't going to happen, to my knowledge I can't think of a shuttle going that way, same for Opuwo to Katima. If there is one then it's certainly not on a regular basis.

If the locals don't have vehicles they tend to hitch a lift and sit in the back of someones bakkie (not that comfy)

From your vague itinerary I see you are going Windhoek to Swakop to Outjo to Opuwo...personally I would head straight North from Swakop to Opuwo, otherwise you are going all the way East just to come back again. Maybe when you are in Swakop you can hook up with other travellers with a space in their car that are heading North?

Personally if you have 3 weeks and want to see a lot of the country but are on a tight budget I would rather suggest you rent yourself a little car, like a Citi Golf. They are cheap and in June you can get most places you want to go as the roads are dry. It will be bumpy, but frankly any minibus you do find to travel in is going to have messed up suspension anyway, so it's no different really.

You are going to waste a lot of your holiday trying to organise public transport.

I know a lot of people that have travelled by public transport all the way down from Nairobi, and the general opinion is when you get to Namibia it just isn't possible anymore and you have to hitch hike.

Hope this is helpful?

Gemma Dry - Safari Manager - Truly Africa Tours

monaghan
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: minibus

yeah Gemma going north from Swakop to Opowu is ok by me, but do you think I can get transport going that way? Could I make it o Etosha national park from Opowu? The reason why I was going to Outjo was to get to Etosha NP.

Thanks for your replie and if you know of any other good ideas I would really appreciate it. I dont really feel like hirering a car to drive on my own, I wil have camping equipment with me and don't mind how i get there as long as i get there. Etosha and Opowu is the two places I really want to see in Namibia, I know ther is many places but those are the two.

Thanks for everyones help.

Benen 1

6. Re: minibus

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 August 2010, 05:20