We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.
padova,italy
Level Contributor
46 posts
163 reviews
Save Topic
Windhoek-Cape Town by rental car: how long?

we would like to go next January from Windhoek to Cape Town by rental car (about 10 days could be ok?)with stops at: Swakopmund-Sossusvlei-Luderitz-Fish RIver Canyon and then Northern Cape leaving the car in Cape Town. Is it possible to rent a car in Namibia and return it in South Africa? Any suggestions for nice lodges or b&b? Thank you in advance

Hermanus, South...
Level Contributor
433 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Windhoek-Cape Town by rental car: how long?

It's definitely possible. Personally I would skip out Luderitz but thats just my opinion.

Best route would be

Windhoek to Swakopmund (approx 350 kms) I would recommend 2 days there to take advantage of the activities ranging from quad biking the dunes, sandboarding, sky diving, seal and dolphin cruises and Sandwich Harbour day trip.

There is a wide range of accommodation here. The Stiltz is nice and quite original. Cornerstone Guesthouse and Brigadoon cottages are nice and friendly. If you like more of a hotel experience then Hansa Hotel will suit.

Next 2 days at Sesriem also approx 400kms but will take about 6 hours depending on the state of the road.

We like Sossus Dune Lodge as it is inside the park gates so you can get to Deadvlei and see the sun come up which is quite spectacular. Just outside the gates you have Sossusvlei Lodge and the better value self catering Desert Camp. Le Mirage about 10kms away is quite a unique experience as it is a castle in the middle of the desert. Their spa tratments are very good.

From there I would head down to Aus and stay at Klein Aus Vista. There are several types of accommodation there and some nice hiking trails. I would spend 2 nights as it will take you a day to get here.

From here you can do a visit to the Kolmanskoppe ghost town just outside Luderitz and see the wild horses..

I would skip staying in Luderitz intself unless you have a specific reason you want to go. It is a windy rather grim place. If you do decide to stay there then the Luderitz Nest Hotel is ok.

Next stop Fish River Canyon. The Gondwana collection of Canon Roadhouse, Canon Village and Canon Lodge give a nice range of accommodation. Ai Ais is also nice, the pools are hot though so maybe not good for January as you will be quite hot enough already!

I would break the journey to Cape Town up with a night on the Orange River. I use Felix Unite Cabanas, you can even do a spot of canoeing on the river. There are plenty of other accomodations on either side of the river to chose from though.

You can go direct from here to Cape Town, but if you want to break that up as well then Citrusdal or Clanwilliam are also nice spots to stop off.

Make sure you have a vehicle with air conditioning. Last year I had to drive down to Cape Town from Swakop and my private car doesn't have air con and temperatures were topping 47 degrees in the car. So hot that my ipod gave up the ghost! I now have a good tip that if that happens put it in the fridge when you get home, but it nearly fried me as well as the ipod!

It is possible to hire a car in Nam and drop in SA but you will find quite a few car hire companies will charge a one way fee if you hire from one country and drop off in another so it may pay to shop around a bit.

Gemma Dry - Safari Manager - Truly Africa Tours

padova,italy
Level Contributor
46 posts
163 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Windhoek-Cape Town by rental car: how long?

Thanks Gemma, your advice was really precious to me. thanks too for accomodation advices. I really hope to be able to hire a car in Nam and drop it in CT! We chose Luderitz because some of us are really interested in visiting the area around Kolmanskop.

There is one of us who has been studying Afrikaans for some time now and would like to know if he can communicate in that language without any problem.

Thanks again!

Luigi

Hermanus, South...
Level Contributor
433 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Windhoek-Cape Town by rental car: how long?

English is the national language of Namibia and is widely spoken by all races, Afrikaans is also very widely spoken by all races so you will have plenty of opportunities to practise speaking Afrikaans in Namibia. Once you get into the Western Cape in South Africa you will find that it is only really the Coloured and white population that will be speaking Afrikaans, black citizens stick to English and their traditional languages.

Cary, North Carolina
Level Contributor
385 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Windhoek-Cape Town by rental car: how long?

Remember that renting a car from a local Namibia company they may not allow you to take a car to South Africa, whereas the well-known international companies like Avis, Hertz etc. do allow you to take the car to South Africa. But they charge you an extra fee for dropping off the car in Cape Town.

padova,italy
Level Contributor
46 posts
163 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Windhoek-Cape Town by rental car: how long?

thank you for the answer. I have seen that Avis permits you to cross the border to South Africa paying a fee, so Avis could be our final choice!

6. Re: Windhoek-Cape Town by rental car: how long?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 November 2010, 04:16