We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Avoid Asco Car Hire

Bruges, France
3 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Avoid Asco Car Hire

Hereby, I would like to warn you for hiring a car @ Asco Car Hire Namibia. We rented a 4x4 for 15 days and agreed by mail on a fixed price in euro in advance.

I the morning, we picked up the car, and the relatively unfriendly staff at the desk, sold us a excessively expensive, extra ensurance resulting in 0 excess for any damage, including glass / window damage. In contrast to the agreement by mail, the contract of the total car hire was now in Namibian dollars, no need to say at a high rate, resulting in 5% exchange loss on 2000 euro!!

In the hangar, the mechanic brought us to the car:

1. Window was already damaged on 2 places. So selling an extra window ensurance in this occasion is very unfair!!!

2. The mechanic did a quick walkaround, clearly trying to mask the little accident in the back. We noticed the damage and it was marked on the damage paper.

3. The car performed well during the 15 days. We did only official roads, no off-road.

4. Contract was sold for 14 days and 6 hours, since we got the car in the morning @ 10 o'clock, and had to bring it in before 1600 the last day, losing more than 16 hours. We called to change this but the person on the phone was very unfriendly saying that we did not have to be so stupid to sign that.

5. Bringing the car back, problems started:

5a. The front numberplate, which was not attached by bolts, only with plasic clips fell of during the trip. We were asked to pay the number plate, 0 excess ensurance did not cover that. Several other cars also lost the front number plate, proving the unsatisfactory attachment by asco.

5b. The walkaround was now very slow, in the end with more than five mechanics. They said we had to pay damage on the rear bumper. No need to say this was from the previous renter, and already marked on the paper! Saying this did not help and resulted is severe discussions. Finally the mechanic who repaired the damage from the previous renter, was called and immediately agreed whith us that these scratches were already on the bumper from before, from the previous renter. Also here, the 0 excess ensurance, even if the damage was not caused by us, did not count!!???

5c. According to the mechanic from the initial walkaround, the car had to be fueled up @ asco when returning. They charged us 17% more expensive than average windhoek prices, being the most expensive of whole namibia, even excessively more expensive than remote sites such as caprivi, etc... where a higher price is justified.

Very unfair car hire company, trying to ripp off honest tourist in all layers of the company. The car costed in the end 500 euro more than agreed, including a nothing covering "0 excess ensurance"

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,592 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Avoid Asco Car Hire

Yours is about the fifth complaint I've seen of that company.

A simply search of 'asco' in the search box here brings up plenty of similar posts.

How did you choose them? Did you ask anyone to recommend a car hire company?

Bruges, France
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Avoid Asco Car Hire

We found them through a "google" search, some others did not reply. Learnt my lesson now.

Malta
Level Contributor
157 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Avoid Asco Car Hire

Peterscot,

Which car hire would you recommend for a 4x4 possibly not too expensive?

David

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,592 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Avoid Asco Car Hire

David,

I wouldn't recommend any, as I haven't hired one in Namibia, so have no experience of 4x4 hire there, except as a witness to inexperienced drivers crashing their 'new', unfamiliar vehicles on unfamiliar roads!

Don't want to put you off, but its a big problem in Namibia. Most visitors are unused to driving fast on gravel or with top-heavy 4x4s.

Enjoy!

Peter

belgium
Level Contributor
58 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Avoid Asco Car Hire

Last July we drove about 3000 km in Namibia without any problems. We had a brand new Toyota Hilux double cab, rented from Europcar. The car was booked through our Belgian touroperator. We had not technical problems and all the paperwork went really smooth.

Malta
Level Contributor
157 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Avoid Asco Car Hire

Thanks. I have emailed europcar as 4x4 cars did not seem to be available for next year.

David

Newcastle, United...
Level Contributor
24 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Avoid Asco Car Hire

Hi,

I did a 16 day trip with B-mobile last year who turned out to be now owned by ASCO car hire. Trouble started half an hour after leaving the garage with the cab door falling off, they were unfriendly, tried to charge an additional day, promised a free night at a guest house, dropped us off only to find the owner knew little of the deal! I fought and managed to get money back of them but they were horrid and rude, i was amazed all the way throughout my experience without them that I was paying the service!!

Try Windhoek car hire, they appear to be much more professional.

Ands

Edited: 14 September 2010, 20:19
Newcastle, United...
Level Contributor
24 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Avoid Asco Car Hire

Hi,

I did a 16 day trip with B-mobile last year who turned out to be now owned by ASCO car hire. Trouble started half an hour after leaving the garage with the cab door falling off, they were unfriendly, tried to charge an additional day, promised a free night at a guest house, dropped us off only to find the owner knew little of the deal! I fought and managed to get money back of them but they were horrid and rude, i was amazed all the way throughout my experience without them that I was paying the service!!

Try Windhoek car hire, they appear to be much more professional.

Ands

Edited: 14 September 2010, 20:19
9. Re: Avoid Asco Car Hire

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 March 2011, 04:16