Hereby, I would like to warn you for hiring a car @ Asco Car Hire Namibia. We rented a 4x4 for 15 days and agreed by mail on a fixed price in euro in advance.
I the morning, we picked up the car, and the relatively unfriendly staff at the desk, sold us a excessively expensive, extra ensurance resulting in 0 excess for any damage, including glass / window damage. In contrast to the agreement by mail, the contract of the total car hire was now in Namibian dollars, no need to say at a high rate, resulting in 5% exchange loss on 2000 euro!!
In the hangar, the mechanic brought us to the car:
1. Window was already damaged on 2 places. So selling an extra window ensurance in this occasion is very unfair!!!
2. The mechanic did a quick walkaround, clearly trying to mask the little accident in the back. We noticed the damage and it was marked on the damage paper.
3. The car performed well during the 15 days. We did only official roads, no off-road.
4. Contract was sold for 14 days and 6 hours, since we got the car in the morning @ 10 o'clock, and had to bring it in before 1600 the last day, losing more than 16 hours. We called to change this but the person on the phone was very unfriendly saying that we did not have to be so stupid to sign that.
5. Bringing the car back, problems started:
5a. The front numberplate, which was not attached by bolts, only with plasic clips fell of during the trip. We were asked to pay the number plate, 0 excess ensurance did not cover that. Several other cars also lost the front number plate, proving the unsatisfactory attachment by asco.
5b. The walkaround was now very slow, in the end with more than five mechanics. They said we had to pay damage on the rear bumper. No need to say this was from the previous renter, and already marked on the paper! Saying this did not help and resulted is severe discussions. Finally the mechanic who repaired the damage from the previous renter, was called and immediately agreed whith us that these scratches were already on the bumper from before, from the previous renter. Also here, the 0 excess ensurance, even if the damage was not caused by us, did not count!!???
5c. According to the mechanic from the initial walkaround, the car had to be fueled up @ asco when returning. They charged us 17% more expensive than average windhoek prices, being the most expensive of whole namibia, even excessively more expensive than remote sites such as caprivi, etc... where a higher price is justified.
Very unfair car hire company, trying to ripp off honest tourist in all layers of the company. The car costed in the end 500 euro more than agreed, including a nothing covering "0 excess ensurance"