We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to buy SIM card?

Cary, North Carolina
Level Contributor
385 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Where to buy SIM card?

On my next trip, I need to buy a local SIM card mainly to check emails. I have a quadband GSM, 3G, WiFi global phone. Where can I buy them in Windhoek and how much do they cost +-?

Thanks

Werner

Colorado
Level Contributor
229 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to buy SIM card?

Hi Werner,

Go straight to a cell providers store, either MTC or Cell One. I found MTC to have better coverage throughout the country, and there is a store near the corner of Sam Nujoma Drive and Nelson Mandela Ave.

If my memory serves me correctly, expect to spend between N20- N50.

Good luck!

Jeremy - Author, Namibia Other Places Travel Guide

Jermibia's Wild Safari Africa /Founder

Market Bosworth...
Level Contributor
1,723 posts
225 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to buy SIM card?

We have a pre paid sim card from SA last year does anyone know if that will work if we need it? Will have our UK phone with international roaming if we need it but a more local sim will be cheaper for calls within Namibia if we needed to use it.

Hermanus, South...
Destination Expert
for Namibia
Level Contributor
1,625 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to buy SIM card?

Hi Emma,

The SA sim 'might' still work, they do have a tendency to expire if not used for several months...having said that my one from December last year was still working when I popped to SA last week, but if not it is cheap to pick up another one.

For Namibia I recommend you get an MTC sim card. You can get in petrol stations, MTC shops and usually at the cigarette counters in supermarkets.

Some SA providers do allow you send text messages when in Namibia but you need to set that up in advance and I am not sure if that works for pay as you go sims very often...much easier to just get a Namibian sim card and much cheaper than international roaming.

Gemma Dry - Owner - Discover Namibia Safaris

Market Bosworth...
Level Contributor
1,723 posts
225 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to buy SIM card?

Thanks Gemma for a small price we may as well get a new sim, the more I think about it the more i can't remember where the other one is as well...

5. Re: Where to buy SIM card?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 March 2011, 06:37