We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Advice on a Namibia safari/experience

Worksop
Level Contributor
25 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Advice on a Namibia safari/experience

My wife to be and I are looking to go to Namibia for a safari. We have no clue where or when to go? Looking to have a budget of about £2k each for 2 weeks. We are open to maybe 1 week safari 1 week beach but would like to see some culture also ie. landmarks places to visit,

Where would you reccomend going and what to see?

many thanks

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,981 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Advice on a Namibia safari/experience

Hi,

I suggest you buy or borrow a guide book on the country and learn about about it so you know when and where to go. A good one is the Bradt guide.

Etosha national park is the main safari destination.

The 'beach' is the Skeleton Coast. Mostly seals and fisherman, no sun loungers.

Market Bosworth...
Level Contributor
1,740 posts
225 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Advice on a Namibia safari/experience

Does your budget include flights as well?

Hermanus, South...
Destination Expert
for Namibia
Level Contributor
1,671 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Advice on a Namibia safari/experience

Namibia is not really a beach destination. Depending on when you are travelling you can encounter a lot of mist and wind, and the sea is nearly always absolutely freezing, so if are looking for a sunbathing, beach aspect for your holiday then it would be a better idea to look for that elsewhere. You don't mention when you are travelling so if I knew that then I can recommend some pre or post Namibia sunbathing.

For your budget and including flying elsewhere for a beach break afterwards I would recommend that you self drive as you will get the most out of your budget for that.

For culture, landmarks and wildlife a Northern loop would probably suit you best, something like:-

3 days Damaraland : Twyfelfontein rock engravings, Petrified Forest, Organ Pipes, you can also do some desert elephant tracking there.

3 days Kunene : Visit a Himba Village and Epupa Falls

3 days Etosha National Park

Then for your beach break you can fly from Windhoek to Cape Town, or Windhoek to Joburg to Mozambique or Zanzibar depending on the time of year.

There is so much to see though that personally I would spend the 2 weeks in Namibia, then you can also fit in the stunning dunes at Sossusvlei and Swakopmund and have less time sitting in airports!

Gemma Dry - Owner - Discover Namibia Safaris

Aberdeen, UK
Level Contributor
256 posts
244 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Advice on a Namibia safari/experience

Yes I agree, Namibia not a beach destination but is a fantastic place, well worth a visit. Recommend Windhoek - south to Sessriem and Sossusvlei dunes - north to swakopmund - north to damaraland and twyfelfontein with a visit to cape cross seals on way then either inland or can go via start of skeleton coat - north to etosha national park - south to windhoek with stop off and stay at brandberg plateau or stay at afrikaat foundation. This will take approx 10 days at a reasonable pace. Driving is easy, youll need a 4WD definately, though be prepared for driving long distances through nothing but desert with not many other cars around, for me this added to the beauty of namibia but if youre not comfortable with this then take a tour. If you want to you can easily fly windhoek to elsewhere in africa eg cape town and coat for some beach/coast time. As for accommodation, you can hire a 4WD with full camping gear or you can stay in lodges along the way, many beautiful lodges, or a mixture of both. If camping, book in advance through Namibia wildlife reserves, they have a website. hope this helps

5. Re: Advice on a Namibia safari/experience

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 April 2011, 06:21