We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Livingstone to Windhoek in March

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
140 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Livingstone to Windhoek in March

Hi All,

We are planning a trip that will take us to Livingstone about mid-February, 2011. We plan to travel across to Windhoek, taking about 7-8 days to see the Chobe River, Caprivi Strip, etc. I contacted Cardboard Box Travel in Windhoek for help and after some initial contact, I haven't heard from them. Is there a way to do this leg of our trip without an expensive car rental? Is there an organized tour that I can't find? Our budget isn't huge - maybe $4000 (canadian $) max. Ideas?

Thanks.

Colorado
Level Contributor
229 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Livingstone to Windhoek in March

If you do it on your own -Intercape Mainliner (bus) travels between Windhoek and Livingstone regularly with frequent stops along this line. Combie minibuses also travel this line frequently.

If you take the bus route, in Katima Mulilo check out Tutwa Tourism & Travel (TEL: 66-252- 739; along the B8 road on the left, before the Total filling station) can answer any of your questions about the Caprivi and arrange tours into

Zambia and Bostwana.

This will save you a considerable amount of money having not to hire a vehicle.

Jeremy - Author, Namibia Other Places Travel Guide

Jermibia's Wild Safari Africa /Founder

Hermanus, South...
Destination Expert
for Namibia
Level Contributor
1,637 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Livingstone to Windhoek in March

Is the 4000 Canadian your budget just for the 7 days from Livingstone to Windhoek? If so that is more than enough to make a fantastic trip.

As far as I know the Intercape although they do a Livingstone to Windhoek leg don't allow you to hop off and hop on again, it is just a one way trip...I may be wrong but that is the way I know it to run.

Are you looking to do a camping trip or a budget accommodated?

You can easily get a transfer from Livingstone to Kasane. There are some great campsites there and also some cheaper accommodated options like Waterlily Lodge and Thebe Safari Lodge.

From Kasane there are regular transfers to Katima Mulilo in Namibia.

In Katima you can rent a little car from Hertz and drive the rest of the way.

If you don't have your own camping equipment for the Caprivi you can stay at lodges that have tents already set up or cheapy accommodation.

if you don't want to hire a little car there are minibuses that go that route from Katima, they are crowded and hot and frankly only a bit cheaper than renting a little golf and at least having air con then . And there is a lot of waiting around.

You can easily do this for 4000 Canadian.

Most organised tours I know tend to go from Windhoek through the delta, Chobe and then to Livingstone skipping the Caprivi, they only go that way on the quick transit back.

Gemma Dry - Owner - Discover Namibia Safaris

3. Re: Livingstone to Windhoek in March

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 May 2011, 05:17