We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

2nd battery in our 4x4 : needed ?

Antwerp, Belgium
Level Contributor
191 posts
71 reviews
Save Topic
2nd battery in our 4x4 : needed ?

Hey All,

Another practical issue which I can't sort out.

We will rent a Toyota Hilux equipped with camping equipment at African Tracks. A fridge (12V/220V) is optional and we decided to reserve that as well.

Perhaps silly of me that I do not know it, but can you keep the fridge running when engine is shut off ? Or should we have a 2nd battery for this (which is another available option) ?

Thanks in advance for your reply.

And Merry Christmas to all of you from a white and cold Belgium.

Bart

The Delight Swakopmund
The Delight Swakopmund
#1 of 19 hotels in Swakopmund
Onguma Bush Camp
Onguma Bush Camp
#1 of 7 hotels in Etosha National Park
Strand Hotel Swakopmund
Strand Hotel Swakopmund
#2 of 19 hotels in Swakopmund
Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
33,125 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 2nd battery in our 4x4 : needed ?

Hi,

There are probably a few self-drive safari forums lurking around, where there will be a lot of experts.

For my part, I've been on a trip like yours, but luckily was merely the pampered passenger. I remember some chat round the camp fire about an inverter which powered the lights and fridges, but I wouldn't want to mislead you.....

Cary, North Carolina
Level Contributor
385 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 2nd battery in our 4x4 : needed ?

You should ask the company where you rent the vehicle how long the fridge can run on the battery alone. If you go in winter it may be fine to switch the fridge off at night.

3. Re: 2nd battery in our 4x4 : needed ?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 June 2011, 06:41