We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

place to stay between Swakupmund and Etosha

Saffron Walden...
Level Contributor
5 posts
82 reviews
Save Topic
place to stay between Swakupmund and Etosha

Hi everyone, I'm new to this forum and would appreciate some advice in planning an itinerary for a Namibia self-drive holiday.

So fat it is

1 night Windhoek

2 nights Sessriem

2 nights Swakupmund

1 night ?

3 nights Etosha

1 night Okonjima

I can't decide where to stay between Swakupmund and Etosha. I've considered Huab Lodge, Camp Kipwe and Desert Rhino Camp but the latter looks like it costs an arm and a leg. Our main interests are wildlife. We're not on a very tight budget but at the same time N$5000 per person per night is way too much.

Also, does anyone have any recommendations for a good skeleton coast flight from Swakupmund, and is Walvis Bay worth a visit (I don't feel the need to see seals).

Thanks in advance for any suggestions or comments

Kats

Hermanus, South...
Destination Expert
for Namibia
Level Contributor
1,650 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: place to stay between Swakupmund and Etosha

Desert Rhino Camp is great but very pricey and to be honest just for a night stopover it isn't worth it as you won't have the time to do the activities anyway, so you are paying a lot just for a bed for the night!

Camp Kipwe is lovely and much better value.

We often use Kavita Lion Lodge in Kamanjab as a stopover between Swakop and Etosha. The lodge is very nice and includes diner, also has a nice pool to cool off in. The have a DBB and a full board basis which includes lion activities which you can do either in the afternoon or the following morning, but as a place just to stop off en route to Etosha it is very good, and also you only have a couple of hours from there to get to Etosha, so if you leave after breakfast you are in the park and checked in before it gets too hot.

I always recommend Pleasure Flights in Swakopmund for the Skeleton Coast scenic flight, they are very good and professional and the planes are well maintained. You also have Atlantic Aviation and Scenic Air which offer similar trips. All the prices are much of a muchness really whoever you choose, but I find parking by Pleasure flights easier and they are good at answering e mails if you want to book in advance.

The Raft in Walvis is nice for lunch, and the flamingoes in the lagoon are pretty but otherwise Walvis Bay doesn't really have a lot to offer...and if you want to see flamingoes you can drive to the saltworks in Swakop and there are loads there.

Gemma Dry - Owner - Discover Namibia Safaris

Saffron Walden...
Level Contributor
5 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: place to stay between Swakupmund and Etosha

Thanks so much Gemma, that's really useful advice

Kats

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,789 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: place to stay between Swakupmund and Etosha

I find it hard to disagree with Gemma, and I'm not going to start now. Sound advice.

I think your issue is the "1 night". Few places are worth arriving at dusk and leaving the next morning, but I agree Kavita is a good choice, and it is (or was) run by the members of teh family that started Okonjima, so they will be interested that you are going there.

My first 2 visits to Etosha were for 1 night, and I didn't feel short-changed. You can pack a lot in in a short time.

having a shorter visit there, would release a night for Damaraland, making a stay somewhere less accessible more sensible.

My long-time favourite is Huab Lodge, but going for one night is virtually pointless. Stay 2 and enjoy the relaxation, the natural spa, and the scenery (as well as the great guiding and food and wine....

Hobatere may also be a good option.

(BTW - you may also regret only one night at Okonjima).

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,789 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: place to stay between Swakupmund and Etosha

I find it hard to disagree with Gemma, and I'm not going to start now. Sound advice.

I think your issue is the "1 night". Few places are worth arriving at dusk and leaving the next morning, but I agree Kavita is a good choice, and it is (or was) run by the members of teh family that started Okonjima, so they will be interested that you are going there.

My first 2 visits to Etosha were for 1 night, and I didn't feel short-changed. You can pack a lot in in a short time.

having a shorter visit there, would release a night for Damaraland, making a stay somewhere less accessible more sensible.

My long-time favourite is Huab Lodge, but going for one night is virtually pointless. Stay 2 and enjoy the relaxation, the natural spa, and the scenery (as well as the great guiding and food and wine....

Hobatere may also be a good option.

(BTW - you may also regret only one night at Okonjima).

Saffron Walden...
Level Contributor
5 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: place to stay between Swakupmund and Etosha

Thanks. Yes, may be able to add a second night....

Fordingbridge...
Level Contributor
2,023 posts
177 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: place to stay between Swakupmund and Etosha

If you're going to add a 2nd might I can strongly recommend either Mowani Mountain Camp, handy for the Organ Pipes etc., or for a totally unique experience, Huab Lodge.

Edited: 08 January 2011, 16:42
Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
165 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: place to stay between Swakupmund and Etosha

I have exactly the same question as the OP. I will be traveling in Nov so air-con is essential for us.

I have found Damara Mopane Lodge in Khorixas- it boast to be a newly opened establishment. Anyone with reviews?

Hermanus, South...
Destination Expert
for Namibia
Level Contributor
1,650 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: place to stay between Swakupmund and Etosha

Damara Mopane Lodge is relatively new and is run by the Gondwana Collection. We haven't used them yet as I already have my bookings done for that area this year so far, but we will certainly use them in the future as Gondwana offer good value for money and are well run group.

They also the Canon collection at Fish River and Klein Aus Vista which are excellent properties so you shouldn't go far wrong booking with one of their lodges.

Gemma Dry - Owner - Discover Namibia Safaris

9. Re: place to stay between Swakupmund and Etosha

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 12 January 2011, 19:35
Windhoek, Namibia
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: place to stay between Swakupmund and Etosha

Hi,

you should definitely go for Huab Lodge! Amazing place, I was there 2 weeks ago.

Regards,

Gudi01