We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Self-drive trip in Namibia (7 days)

London, United...
1 post
1 review
Save Topic
Self-drive trip in Namibia (7 days)

I am hoping to do a self-drive trip around Namibia with my partner this coming October. I’ve contacted a few companies who have put together various itineraries but all of these involve staying in relatively expensive lodges. I’d like to save money and instead hire a vehicle with a tent so we can camp. Unfortunately I cannot find any companies that offer this as a package. Has anyone done this before and can any recommend any good travel companies (Namibian or UK-based) that I might contact for a quote?

CMR
Level Contributor
66 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Self-drive trip in Namibia (7 days)

Try Cardboardbox. www.namibian.org. They can do your campsites and car hire if you want a package, although it works out better if you do the car hire yourself.

It doesn't cost any extra to book accommodation through them.

Market Bosworth...
Level Contributor
1,740 posts
225 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Self-drive trip in Namibia (7 days)

Or you could contact Gemma Dry from Discover Namibia she posts on here all the time and is really helpful http://www.discover-namibia-safari.net/#

Colorado
Level Contributor
229 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Self-drive trip in Namibia (7 days)

Hi Rossyjim,

If you're looking to hire a vehicle with a tent on top, I'd recommend looking into NACOBTA community campsites along the path you wish to travel. They are fantastic, simple, locations with the basic amenities any camper should need, electricity, water, shower, braai pits, etc...

Jeremy - author, Namibia Other Places Travel Guide

Jermibia's Wild Safari Africa - Managing Director

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
37,532 posts
360 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Self-drive trip in Namibia (7 days)

I have used Cardboardbox too and found them Ok. And give Gemma a call as I know her firm use Avanced Car Hire that got a good post just down the page here. www.advancedcarhire.com shows they have 4x4s with roof top tents and camping kit for N$600 per day.

If a standard tent is what you seek then I am sure there are firms that will hire that.

Hermanus, South...
Destination Expert
for Namibia
Level Contributor
1,658 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Self-drive trip in Namibia (7 days)

I would definitely recommend taking a 4x4 with the roof top tents as you have much more space for you other equipment in the boot.

If you take a sedan and hire camping equipment you will certainly need to also take a trailer which can be difficult on the gravel roads if you are not experienced.

If you want to hire regular camping equipment I use this company http://www.orusovo.com/camphire/default.htm

Gemma Dry - Owner - Discover Namibia Safaris

6. Re: Self-drive trip in Namibia (7 days)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 October 2012, 20:19