We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

money

Thunder Bay, Canada
Level Contributor
326 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
money

i will be travelling for 14 days in june on a self drive. everything has been pre-paid, rental, accomadation,meals to some extent. some places, i will have to buy lunch and or dinner, but only 5 dinners i total. the 4-4 rental is compact and gets 30+ mpg. i will be travelling 200-250 km per day. i was thinking that 100 u.s. dollars per day should be sufficient for fuel and food., and any other activities. any thoughts?

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
36,617 posts
342 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: money

I would reckon on nearer 20mpg for the 4x4 just to be safe and of curse always keep the tank topped off. Whilst better than it used to be it can be a long haul to the next pumps especially that long road up to the Caprivi from Grootfontein.

Always carry enough cash. There is no law that says you must spend it all.

My old rule has always been half as many clothes and twice as much money as you think you need. Keep to ZARands towards the end of the trip as you can change them back.

Pretoria
Level Contributor
1,042 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: money

100 dollar per day is more than you will need. Work on roughly 30 Us cents or less per kilometre fuel cost , and not more than US$15-20 per meal in daytime

Dinne rmight be a little more.

Edited: 04 March 2011, 12:43
Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
36,617 posts
342 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: money

Using that formula then OP will need US60 per day (cUS800 for their trip.) Leaves only $40 for food and drinks. I would take roughly twice that. See post #1.

Edited: 04 March 2011, 15:58
Hermanus, South...
Destination Expert
for Namibia
Level Contributor
1,625 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: money

I'm with you Mfuwe, as a good guide you can estimate N$1 per km for a 4x4 ...obviously it depends how economically you drive yadda yadda yadda but it is a good guide. On our guided trips you find you average about N$300 a day on fuel over a whole trip, as some days you stay in the same place and others you have a long drive.

A good tip from Mfuwe is to keep your SA Rands till last as those you can change back when you get home. Nam dollars you cannot.

Thunder Bay, Canada
Level Contributor
326 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: money

i am driving a very compact diahtsu 4-4. i researched it and that is how i came up with the 30+ miles per gallon. thanks for the replys. i will of course be taking extra money. your estimate of n$1 per k seems pretty close gemma. most days i will be travelling 250 k. this is 150 miles. so i think that 40 u.s. per day should be enough.

6. Re: money

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 October 2012, 19:19