We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

when is the safari low season?

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
45 posts
Save Topic
when is the safari low season?

Hi all, when is the safari low season for Namibia? Is this a good time to travel? Do game lodges have discounts for this time of year?

Thanks

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,768 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: when is the safari low season?

Probably outside school holiday periods, and when there is a risk of interuptions due to rain - February - April.

Note that rain is rare in many parts of Namibia.

Pretoria
Level Contributor
1,042 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: when is the safari low season?

Safari low season is in the hot months November to March.

I know from experience some hotels, like the Safari Court hotel in Windhoek has (had) specials in the past in December because there are less people in Windhoek than in the cooler months (May to September)

In December however, it is peak season in the much cooler Swakopmund because everybody flee to the coast to escape the heat.

Edited: 16 April 2011, 10:48
Hermanus, South...
Destination Expert
for Namibia
Level Contributor
1,651 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: when is the safari low season?

Most game lodges that have seasonal rates class 1st July to 31st Oct as peak season. Some also take the December holidays as peak as well.

If you want to travel out of season May and June are best as it is after the rainy season so the game viewing tends to be better.

I don't generally recommend November as although it is low season there is no cloud cover so it can be extremely hot.

If you are looking for budget or mid range accommodation avoid Swakopmund from mid Dec - mid Jan as it is the Namibian and South African school hols and so that tends to get snapped up pretty quick. You can usually find some availability for the more high end establishments though. But the town is absolutely packed so you need to book restaurants a few days in advance.

Gemma Dry - Owner - Discover Namibia Safaris

Colorado
Level Contributor
229 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: when is the safari low season?

<<Note that rain is rare in many parts of Namibia >>

I think many Namibians might argue that one right now.

Pretoria
Level Contributor
1,042 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: when is the safari low season?

Indeed, I heard the rainfall since November has been the highest ever recorded in one season since record keeping began

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
37,230 posts
360 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: when is the safari low season?

<<highest ever recorded in one season since record keeping began!>>

Well that is surely supporting Peter's definition of "Rare?"

i.e. As in "not often" or "infrequent".

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,768 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: when is the safari low season?

Is it raining all over Namibia?

8. Re: when is the safari low season?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 October 2012, 02:17