We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rent a car with a driver

Israel
Level Contributor
10 posts
68 reviews
Save Topic
Rent a car with a driver

We are two seniors generally in a good condition and travel a lot, but have a problem of driving log hours. We want very much to do 3 week tour in Namibia, but not on an organized one. We made a plan, but encountered a problem of very high cost of a car with a driver. According to what we have seen it can be more than 100$ a day. Is someone has a suggestion of something cheaper? For instance we just came from Sri Lanka and pay 38$ a day for a car with a driver.

thanks Ester

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
37,532 posts
360 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rent a car with a driver

Well first up, define "in good condtion" and how senior is "senior". This senior is happy to self drive.

Namibia is easy to drive, there is no need to drive for hours on end. There are plenty of places to stay to break the day. Indeed I would encourage anyone, of any age, to do so as this is the way to enjoy the country. Too many folks feel obliged to "See it all" and end up seeing nothing but the inside of the car. In three weeks you could comfortably cover the main areas, Sesreim, Swakopmund, Damaraland and back via Etosha with lots of 'days off' and short hops. Maybe Caprivi would be a trip too far (but I do the drive up/down in one long day to get it over with.)

So if this has not convinced you to self drive then let us turn to the driver.

I find that US$100 per diem hard to believe. OK the guy needs a bed and feeding but I would come and do it for you for that if I lived there.

$2,100 is not to be sneezed at.

I am sure you can do better. I am sure a couple of regulars on here will tell you how.

Hermanus, South...
Destination Expert
for Namibia
Level Contributor
1,658 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Rent a car with a driver

$100 is only N$670 per day. You will really struggle with a budget like that. Are you expecting fuel to be included?

Most guides I know charge between $700 and $900 a day just for their services. If you add a vehicle to that then it will almost double.

If you are just looking for a driver with a vehicle in that budget then I would suggest that the vehicle they have may be questionable.

I met a lady in Etosha a couple of years back who got a driver from a taxi firm to drive her around. No idea of the cost, but seeing the state of the vehicle however cheap it was it certainly wasn't worth it. They had 2 flat tyres inside Etosha alone.

I would also suggest that you self drive.

You can break the trip into lots of small hops as Mfuwe mentioned.

For instance the journey from Sesriem to Swakop is long, about 6 hours, most people push straight through, but there is one place to stay over en route (Rostock Ritz) which is about half way.

Swakopmund to the main Damaraland bits is also a long drive. Again most people push through, but you could stop halfway around Uis/Brandberg making it a much shorter journey.

It is quite easy to break the trip into 3 hour stints, and will work out cheaper than a car and driver.

Gemma Dry - Owner - Discover Namibia Safaris

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
37,532 posts
360 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Rent a car with a driver

Can I just clarify what I said?

I took the quote "driver" for $100 literally. i.e. Not a trained guide and not including the car itself.

If either of these are in with the price then what Gemma says is correct and good value.

4. Re: Rent a car with a driver

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 October 2012, 19:17