We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sossusvlei to Windhoek

Malta
Level Contributor
157 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Sossusvlei to Windhoek

Does anyone know how much time it will take to drive from Sossus Dune Lodge to Windhoek? I have to return the car at Windhoek at 11am as then we have a transfer to the airport for a flight leaving at 13.55.

Is it possible to leave Sossus Dune Lodge at around 5am and will this be enough time?

Regards

David

Pretoria
Level Contributor
1,042 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sossusvlei to Windhoek

Yes, you should make it, but I really would not take the chance.

If you get a flat tyre or any problems en route, you will be late.

Rather overnight the night before in Windhoek. There are a few sights to see

Market Bosworth...
Level Contributor
1,727 posts
225 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sossusvlei to Windhoek

We had a similar flight time to you and left Kulala Lodge early to give us a spare 2 hours in case we had a flat etc. We had serveral hours to spare at the airport but better than than be late. From what you have said your timing sounds perfectly reasonable.

Hermanus, South...
Destination Expert
for Namibia
Level Contributor
1,635 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sossusvlei to Windhoek

Technically it is enough time, but personally I wouldn't primarily because you will be starting out in the dark and there are lots of bokkies and the like just waiting to jump in front of a car at that time of day.

You don't say what time of year you are going or what you are driving...but you have only allowed 6 hours to get to Windhoek, and at the moment if you are doing that route in a sedan it will take you at least that long, if not longer.

Gemma Dry - Owner - Discover Namibia Safaris

Malta
Level Contributor
157 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sossusvlei to Windhoek

Thanks for all your replies.

At the moment I am in Swakopmund and I will be driving from Sossusvlei to Windhoek next Friday. It is not something which I can change as everything is booked. I am driving a 4x4 Toyota Hilux. At what time should I leave from Sossus Dune Lodge?

Thanks

David

Hermanus, South...
Destination Expert
for Namibia
Level Contributor
1,635 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sossusvlei to Windhoek

Oh dear.

I haven't had anyone driving that route in the last week, so this isn't entirely up to date, but it was still pretty bad 10 days ago.

Sunrise isn't till 6.30ish so the first bit you are going to be doing in pitch black, and to be honest it is that first bit where you are likely to come into problems. Please drive slowly in the dark. The grass by the side of the road when lit by the headlights can start to give you a horrible tunnel vision effect and make it hard to concentrate.

Without knowing the current state of the road there I cannot unfortunately give you a time you should leave by and it would be irresponsible of me to do so. I can say that it took some of my self drivers the other day 6 hours in daylight.

Most rental companies have a clause which invalidates your insurance excess for negligent driving, and driving in the dark when not in a town or city in nearly all cases counts as negligent driving so please be careful!

The best bet is to try and find out which roads have been graded/fixed and which are still in a shocking state. Solitaire Country Lodge are pretty on the ball for that, or else you need to find a tourist that has just come that way recently to give you an update. Try popping in to Brauhaus or Kuckis and asking there as they are popular with tourists and locals.

Malta
Level Contributor
157 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sossusvlei to Windhoek

Thanks Gemma for your reply,

We managed to do the trip in around 5 hrs and are safely back home :-)

Will try to do a trip report when we have time.

Hermanus, South...
Destination Expert
for Namibia
Level Contributor
1,635 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Sossusvlei to Windhoek

Glad you made it back safely. 5 hours is pretty impressive I have to say! Not sure I could do it that quick in the dark!!

8. Re: Sossusvlei to Windhoek

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 June 2012, 05:16