We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Namibia itinerary help

Parkland, Florida
Level Contributor
116 posts
144 reviews
Save Topic
Namibia itinerary help

Would appreciate some fine tuning from the experts.

This is the itinerary that I plan to book, hiring a rental from Windhoek.

I have no desire to stay in Windhoek any longer than necessary, do I even need to spend the first night there?

9 Sept - Olive Grove, Windhoek. (I arrive Windhoek 11 AM)

10 + 11 Sept - Namib Naukluft Lodge

12 Sept - The Stiltz

13 + 14 Sept - Twyfelfontein Country Lodge

15 Sept Okaukeujo (have not made chosen a camp/lodge yet)

16 +17 Sept - Mushara Outpost

18 Sept - Olive Grove

11.30 AM departure Windhoek to Victoria Falls on 19th

Market Bosworth...
Level Contributor
1,740 posts
225 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Namibia itinerary help

We stayed our first night in Windhoek which was nice after a long journey to get there. We landed at 11ish by the time we had got our luggage, picked up the car etc it was closer to 1pm and we were tired so that first night with no long drive was nice.

Okaukeujo is a camp its self with lots of different accomodation options.

We stayed at Mushara Outpost and loved it! Room 8 seemed the most private of them all.

It was only about 2.5hrs drive From Windhoek on good roads, I'd be tempted to have 2nights at The Stiltz and go straight to the airport from Mushara and not have another night in Windhoek.

Otherwise you will have a long drive to get to The Stiltz get there late ish afternoon and have to be gone early the next day having seen not much.

Swakopmund
Level Contributor
63 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Namibia itinerary help

hello,

your itinerary is great. I would suggest staying in Windhoek, Olive Grove is not to be missed it is a stunning place great rooms, food and service, the atmosphere is amazing and relaxing you will enjoy it there very much.

Okaukuejo is my favourite NWR camp it is very nice there,

enjoy your time in Namibia.

regards

Alison

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,717 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Namibia itinerary help

I agree with the recommendations to spend an additional day at the Stiltz - it's a long drive from Namib Naukluft to Swakop, and you'll arrive too late to see much of the town or Walvis Bay.

If you can't extend the trip by a day, you could go straight down to Namib Naukluft when you arrive and skip the initial day at Olive Grove (though Olive Grove is lovely and would be a great place to recover from the long flight).

Cheers,

Julian

Owner, Timeless Africa

Namibia
Level Contributor
557 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Namibia itinerary help

I would also recommend that you stay two nights in Swakopmund, there's a lot to do and the Dolphin Cruise is highly recommended. It's also nice to not be driving much and you can nearly walk everywhere.

It's a good idea to stay the first night in Windhoek to relax from the flight, get all orgnized and leave early the next day.

You should also maybe think about staying closer to Sesriem, maybe at Desert Homestead Lodge or Desert Camp. Namib Naukluft Lodge is quite a distance away from Sesriem and the Sossusvlei and from a driving point it would make more sense to stay nearer to Sesriem. You can also stay one night near Sesriem and than stay at a lodge half way to Swakopmund such as Rostock Ritz Lodge.

The last night I would also not stay in Windhoek, rather stay close to Windhoek at a lodge and enjoy the last night in the Bush. have a look at Okapuka Lodge or the Elegant Farmstead.

Enjoy your time in Namibia!

Hermanus, South...
Destination Expert
for Namibia
Level Contributor
1,670 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Namibia itinerary help

I second all of the above.

The only thing I would add is that personally I wouldn't stay at Twyfelfontein Country Lodge in peak season as you have a lot of large organised tour groups who tend to take over the place.

If you budget allows I would rather suggest Camp Kipwe, or the cheaper Camp Xaragu which doesn't really have good reviews on here but I have never experienced any problems there.

Gemma Dry - Owner - Discover Namibia Safaris

Parkland, Florida
Level Contributor
116 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Namibia itinerary help

Thanks for all the expert advise, I have added another day at The Stiltz, and will look into everyone's suggestions, including Gemma's advise for Camp Kipwe.

Swakopmund, Namibia
3 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Namibia itinerary help

Your itinary looks Ok but would try and stay closer to Sossusvlei. Staying at Namib Naukluft Lodge means backtracking ( The Desert Camp at Sesriem is great) Also definately 2 days at least in Swakopmund as there are many great activities and excursions, great restaurants and shopping. You also need the break from trvelling long distances ( do your banking laundry etc.)

Would also suggest only one night at Twyfelfontein.

Have a great trip!

Peter - The Secret Garden Guesthouse , Swakopmund

8. Re: Namibia itinerary help

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 October 2012, 00:20