We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car hire

Parkland, Florida
Level Contributor
112 posts
144 reviews
Save Topic
Car hire

Is it possible to rent a car from any of the major international car hire companies, decline their enforced CDW and use the American Express CDW included free with my Platinum Am Ex card?

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
37,636 posts
374 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Car hire

I don't see why not. I rarely take CDW and carry the risk myself.

(Hello again. Not seen you since Zambia.)

us
Level Contributor
78 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Car hire

Good Day,

The AMEX won't cover "off road" driving.

Which raises my question....

If I pay for zero excess on a rental in Namibia and suffer some damage while driving off road, would I be liable?

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
37,636 posts
374 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Car hire

If you have "bought" Zero XS that is what you get. NO XS. I don't think driving in Namibia is classified as "Off Road" if you are on clearly marked roads such as you get in Sossusvlei and Kunene.

Maybe Gemma or somebody local to the problem would advise.

Your first point is very relevant. There are lots of Annual and personal "Protect your Hire XS" products on the market at the moment. I have not found one that will cover an Off Road vehicle even on the Supermarket Lot let alone "Off road" in the true sense.

Just back from a 5000km through Botswana. I took what was on offer at the Hire firm.

Also consider the length of your Hire. The daily charge for lower XS soon mounts up to the figure you are protecting, making it worthwhile carrying the risk yourself.. i.e. 30 days @ N$100per day = N$3,000. How much is the XS you are protecting? Do the maths before you buy.

Parkland, Florida
Level Contributor
112 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Car hire

I had tried booking a car with Thrifty, and was informed that Loss Damage Waiver is mandatory, they won't rent to you if you don't take it. Even with LDW, you are still responsible for the first NAD 5000-12,000, AND they require a deposit of this amount, which they will charge to your credit card before they give you the car, in the event that you do have an accident.

So beware if you arrive in Windhoek and you have been travelling elsewhere in Africa and have been running up your credit card, you need to have enough flexibility for Thrifty to charge almost $3000 to your credit card.

Am Ex Platinum in the USA gives you free coverage for CDW, including tires, theft, windshield etc, but in order for you to be covered, you have to pay with Am Ex AND decline any LDW/CDW, which won't get you a car.

It appears Avis and Budget may have a similar policy, although I just spoke with Hertz a few moments ago, and they don't. But perhaps they have already built it into the price at over $900 for a Corolla for 11 days.

Maybe Gemma can advise.

(Hello Mfuwe, nice to hear from you, I have been following your posts)

Hermanus, South...
Destination Expert
for Namibia
Level Contributor
1,663 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Car hire

If you are taking a car seriously off road, like dry river beds etc and not your normal run of the mill gravel roads then you need to check in advance with the hire company as it may invalidate you CDW. A lot of companies have a clause in their terms and conditions for negligent driving and if you had an accident aomewhere seriously off road you could find that you are not covered.

Different companies have different reduced excess.

For a max excess on a 4x4 for instance you can easily be looking at a N$30,000 - N$45,000 excess.

In these cases I always recommend my clients to take a reeduced excess option as the amount they will pay extra is so much less than the amount they would have to potentially pay out should they prang the car, and accidents do happen!

I think most of the big international companies, Budget, Europcar etc insist you take their CDW.

You may have more luck with a local based company as they tend to be a little more flexible in these matters, try contacting Advanced, Gecko, Camel or CABS and see what they say.

I did have a Canadian couple last year that hired through Hertz and they had that AMEX deal and it worked for them. I am not sure about the logistics of how they went about it as they organised their own vehicle, and I suspect somewhere it is built into the overall cost anyway.

Gemma Dry - Owner - Discover Namibia Safaris

Parkland, Florida
Level Contributor
112 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Car hire

Just returned.

I can confirm no added charges from Hertz. They allowed me to decline all insurance options, and use my US my AM Ex, which offers free CDW insurance.

Added bonus, I asked if there were any upgrades available and was given a free upgrade from a compact to a new VW Combi!!!

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
37,636 posts
374 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Car hire

Good result all round Gabirds. How was the trip. Do we get a report?

8. Re: Car hire

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 October 2012, 05:15