We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First trip to Namibia only a week where to go what to see

Camberley UK
Level Contributor
141 posts
244 reviews
Save Topic
First trip to Namibia only a week where to go what to see

I just wanted to get some tips on must see things in my first one week trip next April, my main focus is on seeing as much wildlife as possible but dont want to miss anything thats a must see, so far I only really have Etosha on the list so any advice would be appreciated

Market Bosworth...
Level Contributor
1,742 posts
225 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First trip to Namibia only a week where to go what to see

So many places for me that would be a must see but a week is limiting. Are you flying into Windhoek?

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
33,099 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First trip to Namibia only a week where to go what to see

See Damaraland, and Swakopmund. That will fill your week.

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
38,971 posts
408 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First trip to Namibia only a week where to go what to see

A week is not really long enough to see very much of this vast country.

Make a decision to either go north or south from windhoek and leave "the other half" for another trip.

I would hire a car and head for Damaraland and Etosha. That is all you really have time for unless you want to spend your trip at the wheel of a car.

Mentioned in this post
Swakopmund
Level Contributor
63 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First trip to Namibia only a week where to go what to see

a week is really not long enough to experience the beauty of Namibia. There is so much to see and do, Sossusvlei is a must so is Etosha and Damaraland. You will have to save the Caprivi for another visit. If you are driving then i would suggest you fly from Windhoek to sossusvlei and then fly to Swakopomund and collect your vehilce htere and travel to Damaraland and then Etosha.

Mentioned in this post
London
3 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: First trip to Namibia only a week where to go what to see

I have only one thing to ask. Please don't spend your tourist dollars on going to see the Cape Fur Seals. bloomberg.com/news/2011-07-01/namibia-to-cul…

85,000 pups and 6,000 bulls will die this year. The beaches run red early in the mornings, then they clear it all up in time for the tourists.

Tell the Government to stop by talking with your wallets!

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
33,099 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: First trip to Namibia only a week where to go what to see

I don't think it costs anything to visit the Cape fur seals at Cape Cross, so not sure how anyone would know if I boycotted the place....

Mentioned in this post
Cape Cross
Cape Cross
272 Reviews
Namibia
Hermanus, South...
Destination Expert
for Namibia
Level Contributor
1,678 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: First trip to Namibia only a week where to go what to see

I am not sure if you are talking about boycotting the Cape Cross seal colony or Namibia in its entirety? I don't particularly agree with the annual seal cull, I do understand the thinking behind it with regards to the massive impact on the fishing industry but it could be handled a bit better and with more transparency. If you mean to boycott Cape Cross then I agree with Peter in that the government are not exactly going to feel that. If you are talking about boycotting the whole country then you are just punishing a relatively poor country that relies on tourism in its various forms to survive as the main industries are fishing, which is in a real state, tourism and mining. A huge amount of local Namibians are involved in the tourism industry. It is not their fault that the government has a culling policy to protect Namibias dwindling fish stocks and I therefore don't believe they should suffer because of it.

Mentioned in this post
Cape Cross
Cape Cross
272 Reviews
Namibia
London
3 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: First trip to Namibia only a week where to go what to see

Peterscot, thanks for responding. I'm afraid they do charge - in fact, income from seal watching from the beach walkways at Cape Cross alone added to the income from seal watching from boats brings an income of N$8 million (US$1,168,000).

The seal cull benefits Namibia by just N$520,000- N$1 million, most of which comes from the one man who has the contract to recover the bodies and pelts, Hatem Yuvuz, a Turk who lives in Sydney, Australia.

Mentioned in this post
Cape Cross
Cape Cross
272 Reviews
Namibia
Sydney
Sydney
New South Wales, Australia
Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
38,971 posts
408 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: First trip to Namibia only a week where to go what to see

If what you say is true then maybe the best way to attack this is to organise a boycott of Hatem Yuvez and his end product.

It did wonders for that idiot Bob Parsons of Go Daddy who shot the Elephant in Zimbabwe. Cost him $mm in lost business and benefited Elephant charities by $200,000.

Sadly the Namibian Government are on a "Walking Dead" scenario at the moment.

Mentioned in this post
London
3 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: First trip to Namibia only a week where to go what to see

Hi mfuwe in the Isle of Mann: The trouble is, I don't believe many people globally are buying that much fur anymore. A lot of Omega 3 products contain seal oil - a boycott of that world-wide, whether the product contains it or not, would get a lot of 'health product' companies a bit peeved!

A lot of the Namibian tourism outfits are already very anti-cull as they are wary of a boycott of Namibia itself. It would hit them - and the economy - very hard indeed. Hard enough that the Government would have to react I think - the comparative incomes between the cull and travel and tourism are huge as I've said above. They can't afford to lose the tourism.

The cull employs 81 people on a seasonal basis (July - Nov); Total employment in the travel and tourism industry is expected to increase from 71,000 jobs in 2010 to 109,000 by 2020. So although a tourist boycott might have a short-term efffect on people's livelihoods and income there, if it worked, it would only be for a year and the kudos the country would get from ending the cull would, I think, increase tourism even faster once it began again.