We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.
Level Contributor
22 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
14 Days Self-Drive Itinernary

I wonder if it's possible to cover Namibia in 14 days. I'll be going in early Feb 2012 and it's summer eh? And I wonder how hot is hot!. Anyway here's my rough plan

Starting from Windhoek driving to Sossusvlei

- Sesriem Canyon

- Hike at Namib Dessert.

- hmmm sand boarding?

Sossusvlei to Fish River Canyon

- wanted to just see the canyon and go coz they are closed for trail in summer right?

Fish River Canyon to Kolmanskop

- Ghost Town

Kolmanskop to Swakopmund

- Namib Nauluft Park

- Quad Biking/ sand boarding

- and still thinking if i should do the Skydive!

Swakopmund to Skeleton Coast

Skeleton Coast to Kaokoland

- I really want to see the Epupa Falls!!

- Hike/ trail

Kaokoland to Damaraland

- dont think i have time for Branberg Mountain!

Damaraland to Windhoek

So.... you think i can cover these places in 14 days??

I'm not much of animal fan.. lol yeah safari is the thing if you visit these places but i'm not a fan of big cats. But i'm into trekking/ trailing and other adventure stuffs. And I wonder if these places which i mentioned need to pre-book a guide for hike/ trail or i can just go on my own?

Any comment is very much appreciated.

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,979 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 14 Days Self-Drive Itinernary

<<< I wonder if it's possible to cover Namibia in 14 days>>>

No. Maybe a few highlights, but even those are too far apart.

Sossusvlei - FRC - Kolmaskop - Swakopmund.

This means covering much the same country twice (3-4 days of driving), just to see a canyon and a ghost town. Both are interesting, but I would be surprised if they hold your attention for more than an hour or so.

You are going to spend about 12 days sitting in a car.

Reduce your travel and spend more time outside it. Choose the north or the south, but not both.

Hermanus, South...
Destination Expert
for Namibia
Level Contributor
1,671 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 14 Days Self-Drive Itinernary

I have to agree with Peter on this one. You are trying to fit way to many locations into a very short space of time.

You really need to decide on whether you want to do the north or the south.

As you are less interested in the wildlife part of things I would rather suggest you stick to the southern and central regions as that would suit you better.

You could feasibly do something like this:-

1 day transit to FRC (stop around Mariental somewhere like Kalahari Anib)

2 days FRC - You won't be able to go into the Canyon to hike but if you stay at one of the Gondwna Canon lodges they do guided hikes from there in the surrounding area.

2 days Klein Aus Vista to visit the ghost town

3 days Tok Tokkie Trail or else 3 days in the Sesriem area. Sossusvlei Lodge has an adventure centre with various activities available

3 days Swakopmund

2 days Brandberg area or Spitzkoppe

Back to Windhoek

Any more than that and you risk rushing around a lot and seeing very little.

Gemma Dry - Owner - Discover Namibia Safaris

Level Contributor
22 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 14 Days Self-Drive Itinernary

hmmm i can't decide between the north and south.

Really want to see the Epupa Falls and Fish River... those in the middle are just the stop over.

the Tok Tokkie Trail is something to consider...

Wonder how much I would cover if I do 16 days instead of 14... lol not much i suppose.

Swakopmund
Level Contributor
63 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 14 Days Self-Drive Itinernary

why don't you do a fly in day tour to the Epupa falls - this can be done from Swakopmund with Pleasure Flights or Scenic air. They depart at 6h30 in the morning and you spend the day in the Epupa area and fly back late afternonn.

Wash DC suburbs
Level Contributor
8 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 14 Days Self-Drive Itinernary

I agree with the others that you should think carefully about how much time you want to spend driving. If you can add a fly-in, that would make a huge difference. We focused on northern Namibia for our 12 day self-drive trip this past May, before flying to the Namib. Even with 12 days to cover a section of the north that really doesn't look very large on the Namibian map (described in my review), we had to cut-out a number of places we wanted to visit in the north and had 3 8-hour days of driving. (Perhaps Namibians could have done each day in 6 hours, but road conditions in the east were a bit tough after a difficult rainy season).

Level Contributor
22 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 14 Days Self-Drive Itinernary

i'm revisiting this forum and decided to stick to the North

Here's the plan

Day 1 – Windhoek

Day 2 - 3 – Swakopmund

(Swakopmund to Damaraland via Spitzkoppe and Brandberg)

Day 4 – Damaraland

Day 5 – Sesfontein

(Ongongo Fall)

Day 6 – 7– Epupa Falls

Day 8 – Ruanca Falls

Day 9 – Namutoni

Day 10 – Waterberg

Day 11 - 12 - Windhoek

Is it possible??

And I just found out that my partner refused to camp, but i still think we should.

Should we hire a 4x4 with camping equipment just in case?

Any comment is very much appreciated

Sacramento...
Level Contributor
25 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: 14 Days Self-Drive Itinernary

If you try to make your partner camp and they really don't want to, you may end up sleeping outside with the lions! I know my wife would make me if I forced her into camping ;)

Level Contributor
22 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 14 Days Self-Drive Itinernary

lol... right...

thanks for the advice

Market Bosworth...
Level Contributor
1,740 posts
225 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 14 Days Self-Drive Itinernary

<<If you try to make your partner camp and they really don't want to, you may end up sleeping outside with the lions! I know my wife would make me if I forced her into camping ;)>>

Lol!!!! My husband would do that to me if I even mentioned the 'C' word!

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
923 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 14 Days Self-Drive Itinernary

You can get a pop-up camper in Windhoek and your partner will be fine. It's a tent that is off the ground and behind your cab. It is equipped with a small stove and frig and foldout bed. Most companies will provide an outdoor grill and some campsites have pits or stone barbecues. There are chairs so you can sit outside. Nights are chilly in Damaraland, so if you go for the camper bring your sleeping bags or make sure there is a quilt. All of the campsites we stayed in Namibia had clean toilets and showers.