We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Himba and Cheetahs south of Etosha

Brussels, Belgium
5 posts
Save Topic
Himba and Cheetahs south of Etosha

Hello Namibia veterans,

reading around we hear mixed feedback about the Himba village at Kamanjab. Can anyone recommend or advise against going there. It is a little out of the way for us so we are wondering if it is worth the detour. Or is there a better place to see a Himba village south of Etosha?

Also we read mixed comments about the Cheetah 'farm' in the Kamanjab area. Is this a good place to see cheetahs in captivity or can you recommend a better place?

Thanks!

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
37,658 posts
374 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Himba and Cheetahs south of Etosha

The best by far, in my opinion, for cheetahs is at the Cheetah Conservation Fund Headquarters near Otijwarongo. www.cheetah.org

Their work with saving the Cheetah is very commendable and visits can be very rewarding. You could easily spend a day there on your drive south from Etosha to Windhoek. A great place to get close and take excellent action shots at the morning exercise.

Another place is the Afrikat Foundation where you can trak Radio collared Cheetah on foot but some folks find this rather artificial.

Brussels, Belgium
5 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Himba and Cheetahs south of Etosha

Thank you for your input. We looked into the CCF and we are convinced. We will definitely spend a day there.

Can we pick your brain on something else? About Kamanjab: do you recommend to go from Twyfelfontein to Outjo via Kamanjab? or via the more direct route past Vingerklip?

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
37,658 posts
374 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Himba and Cheetahs south of Etosha

I am no authority on that area although have driven it a few times.

It really depends on you and how much time you have and what you are seeking.

If time is important then the direct tar road from Khorixas to Outjo is very quick.

On the other hand if you want scenery and have the time and inclination then routing right around by Palmweg, Grootberg and then Kamanjab to Outjo would do this. I was very impressed by the mountains on that route. You could also use a more direct route to Kamanjab on the C35 from Khorixas. That is Ok with some wildlife but not scenic.

From Kamanjab you again have a quick tar road.

If for Outjo you are really wanting access to Etosha have you considered entering via the Galton Gate just north of Kamanjab? You will need to have a booking at the new NWR Dolomite Lodge in Etosha to do this but it is a lovely route and would make your decison for you.

For CCF consider the Frans Indongo Lodge. www.indongolodge.com

Hermanus, South...
Destination Expert
for Namibia
Level Contributor
1,663 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Himba and Cheetahs south of Etosha

Mfuwe has covered everything else so I will just deal with the Himba village part.

There are 2 settlements in Kamanjab. One at Oase Garni and one at Gelbingen Lodge. Obviously for a really authentic Himba visit it is better to go to Kunene and see them there, but if Kamanjab is your only option then Gelbingen is better.

If you have the time it would be better to spend a couple of nights in Opuwo, from there you could nip into Etosha via the Galton Gate if you have a booking at Dolomite Camp.

Gemma Dry - Owner - Discover Namibia Safaris

Brussels, Belgium
5 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Himba and Cheetahs south of Etosha

Thank you for all your precious help. I'm leaving next week, and I feel better prepared now. Looking forward to Namibia. :)

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
37,658 posts
374 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Himba and Cheetahs south of Etosha

Glad to have helped. Enjoy your trip and come back safe.

Singapore
Level Contributor
6 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Himba and Cheetahs south of Etosha

Hi,

Having spent much of my youth visiting Etosha Iam very interested in views on Western Etosha. I'm flying into namibia for a family holiday in Feb and am contemplating 2 nights at Dolomite, 1 at okakujoe and 4 at Mukuti Lodge. What is the game viewing like in Western Etosha in Feb? Any views are appreciated. Thanks Oliver

8. Re: Himba and Cheetahs south of Etosha

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 October 2012, 07:18