We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Friendly Planet tour to Namibia

montreal
Level Contributor
515 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
Friendly Planet tour to Namibia

Friendly planet does a tour to Naimbia-they take you to Windhoek,Okahandja,Etosha,Damaraland,twyfelfontein,swakopmund & sossusvlei. My question is all you namibian experts-does that seem like a good comprehensive tour? Which months would you suggest-the most ideal?

many thanks

Hermanus, South...
Destination Expert
for Namibia
Level Contributor
1,625 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Friendly Planet tour to Namibia

I am afraid I haven't heard of Friendly Planet Tours so I can't comment on them as a company.

I can only find one Namibia tour listed called Discover Namibia. Is that the one you are talking about?

It is a pretty standard 10/11 day tour in Namibia by all accounts, stopping at some of the highlights. Can't really say if it is good value as it includes return flight to the US and I don't know how much of that takes up the total cost.

The only thing that would bother me is several of their accommodations are used by big bus tour groups...so I am guessing this may be one of those.

Namib Desert Lodge is 60kms from Sesriem and then Sossusvlei is a further 65kms further on so the likelihood of sunrise there is highly unlikely. And Damara Mopane Lodge is 130kms from Twyfelfontein, so it isn't exactly on the doorstep of the lodge.

Basically it is a pretty standard tour. I see they take up to 45 people per trip, which sounds a lot, not really my cup of tea, but if you are looking for a big group tour you could also check out Sense of Africa or SWA Safaris, they both do similar trips and are well known local operators.

Gemma Dry - Owner - Discover Namibia Safaris

montreal
Level Contributor
515 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Friendly Planet tour to Namibia

thanks a lot,but what are the best times to go there?

Hermanus, South...
Destination Expert
for Namibia
Level Contributor
1,625 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Friendly Planet tour to Namibia

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g293820-s208/Namibia:…

There isn't really a bad time to go but you can check the link above for some general advice. It really depends on your interests.

Edited: 16 September 2011, 10:34
Market Bosworth...
Level Contributor
1,723 posts
225 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Friendly Planet tour to Namibia

If big tour groups are your thing fine, but for me one of the things I loved about Namibia was the lack of people and with a big tour group you will never experience that.

When Gemma talks about distances the hotels/lodges are from the sites it may not sound like much but that is on gravel roads and will take much longer than you think. It would be a shame to go to Sossusvlei and not see the sunrise.

Hermanus, South...
Destination Expert
for Namibia
Level Contributor
1,625 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Friendly Planet tour to Namibia

I do have to agree with Emma. You can self drive this trip so easily and it will cost you much less and you will enjoy it so much more as then you have the freedom to do what you want when you want. A lot of people go for these big bus tours but then you are at whim of the group and the guide. If you do It yourself you can do what you want when you want. If you want a driver guide you can get one for N$900 -1000 a day plus expenses. Most vehicles in Namibia are manual but you can get some models in automatic. So if it were me I would look at self drive. Almost certainly cheaper and a much better experience than a bus.

Market Bosworth...
Level Contributor
1,723 posts
225 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Friendly Planet tour to Namibia

Plus self drive is so easy and much more fun!

Swakopmund
Level Contributor
63 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Friendly Planet tour to Namibia

i agree with Emma and Gemma, Self drive is a much better option. Namibia is very easy and safe to self drive and not much chance of getting lost if you follow the map and the signposts. May is usually a good time to visit Namibia as the weather is good and it is not tourist season so accommodation is easy to find.

i have also not heard of the Friendly planet tours.

kind regards

Alison

Tour Consultant

8. Re: Friendly Planet tour to Namibia

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 October 2012, 12:17