We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

African Tracks Car Rental

Sacramento...
Level Contributor
25 posts
Save Topic
African Tracks Car Rental

Hi everyone,

I've searched the forums but have not found very much information on the African Tracks car rental company (http://www.africantracks.com). According to their website they are based out of Windhoek, are a member of CARAN and have been operating since 1998.

They have quoted me a very good rate for May of 2012 for a Hilux 4x4, but as the saying goes "if it's too good to be true, it probably is." They seem reputable and the e-mails I've exchanged with them have been prompt and professional. Does anyone have any experience with this company, either positive or negative?

Thanks,

Eban

Bury St Edmunds...
Level Contributor
81 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: African Tracks Car Rental

I notice that no-one has replied t your enquiry. Did you manage to find out any more about this company in the meantime, or have you booked elsewhere? We'll also be driving around in May and are still researching the best, most reliable company.

Riebeek-West, South...
Level Contributor
43 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: African Tracks Car Rental

Hi

I just had a look at their website. Looks legit.

Always check for hidden costs

Go for low mileage vehicles

Get the best gear u possibly can,especially when it comes to your safety....the rest will sort itself out

Kind Regards

Lee Rich

African Getaway 4x4 Hire South Africa

3. Re: African Tracks Car Rental

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 01 December 2011, 01:14
Edited: 01 December 2011, 01:14
Sacramento...
Level Contributor
25 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: African Tracks Car Rental

Unfortunately I was unable to find any further reviews. However, our contact at Cardboard Box says that while they are not one of their regular supplies they were comfortable working with them.

We're going to give it a shot and see what happens!

Colorado
Level Contributor
229 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: African Tracks Car Rental

If the Cardboard Box is recommending they would use them it is a safe bet.

Jeremy

Author - Self Drive Holidays: How to Travel in Namibia and Make the Most of Your Visit

Managing Director at Wild Safari Africa

UK
Level Contributor
10 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: African Tracks Car Rental

Hi, Ive just done a three-week trip with them with 7 French clients in two vehicles (I am safari guide and tour organiser) and they were very good. All their vehicles have less than 150,000 kms and are less than three years old.

We covered 5418 kms, did some muddy tracks around Nxai Pan, thick sand, and a sticky border crossing route that was mainly in 4WD. We needed a new clutch halfway round (probably due to a previous client getting stuck somewhere as we didn't) and they sorted it out quickly and easily. Told us where to drive to, the garage was waiting for us, and had us back on the road the next morning.

Camping kit is good, service very friendly, and airport transfers reliable - I will be using them again for my next trip.

Sacramento...
Level Contributor
25 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: African Tracks Car Rental

Thank you so much for the info! We are going in May (only 3 months left, yay!) and we decided to go with African Tracks. It's reassuring to know that you had a good experience with them.

Thanks again,

E

Bury St Edmunds...
Level Contributor
9 posts
331 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: African Tracks Car Rental

Did you finally use African Tracks and were they ok as I am thinking of booking with them.

I see that they do not bring the car to the airport but transfer you to Windhoek - was this efficient.

Thanks for your help

Beijing, China
Level Contributor
81 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: African Tracks Car Rental

is it advisable to book a car in advance?

is it possible / likely that the car rental agencies "run out of cars"?

or is it safe just to show up and decide after an inspection of the cars offered (the usual way I did in other countries).

stupid question, what is Cardboard Box?

Nashville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
2,273 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: African Tracks Car Rental

It will depend on the time of year and what type of car you want. When are you traveling?