We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Theft in Namibia?

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
624 posts
55 reviews
Save Topic
Theft in Namibia?

I was just wondering, we'll be camping a lot on our trip and in places like Sesriem and Naukluft we'll be gone all day hiking or walking and will have to leave all of our stuff behind in the car. What is the risk of someone breaking into our car and just taking everything in these places?

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,715 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Theft in Namibia?

There's always a risk. I can't think of anywhere I've been where its lower. Maybe Antarctica...

I had some guy open my rear car door at an intersection in Windhoek, but he ran away when I shouted at him. Our bags - money - passports were within reach. SO now I lock the doors when in towns.

There's no reason to leave your valuables behind. Carry them with you.

But you don't realise how remote these places are. Say a 10 hour round-trip from Windhoek. Is some thief going to do that drive in the hope of getting something other than some camping equipment?

I'm sure it must happen, but I've never heard of thefts from cars. In towns, use car guards - that's what they're there for. Same for South AFrica.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
1,437 posts
143 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Theft in Namibia?

Travel light, few valuables,take passports, cameras and money with you. I cant see a problem. By all first world counties standards there is no-one there. And those who are seemed pretty law abiding to me. As always the main problem will be the few other travellers who have ill intent. As Gandalf would say.

Christchurch, New...
Level Contributor
329 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Theft in Namibia?

I think the risk is low; either your car is in a busy tourist area (eg Sesriem), or there is no one for miles. However I always take my passport, spare cash, and used camera SD cards with me, either in a moneybelt or just in my backpack. If you are hiking all day you will be carrying so much water you will not notice the extra weight of passports etc! Other stuff is replaceable; make sure you have insurance. We were in Namibia and South Africa for 2 months and didn't lose anything, but I had my camera stolen in Singapore on the way home during a 36 hour stopover!

Swakopmund
Level Contributor
63 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Theft in Namibia?

There is always a possiblilty of theft we can never guarantee it not to occur.

however it is more likely to happen in the towns and not in the remote areas.

i suggest you carry your valuables with you while hiking and always keep your vehicle locked at all times and try and keep things hidden from veiw in the vehicle.

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
37,001 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Theft in Namibia?

If you use a Chelsea Tractor or Backie type vehicle never ever carry valuables in the rear compartment. For normal saloons place them in the boot/trunk and ensure it is locked.

At filling stations LOCK the doors when going to pay.

These are the pinch points to remember. Drive through towns with the doors locked and the rear windows UP!

There is really no higher risk in Namibia than elsewhere but you should be as aware of risk just as you would be at home. Don't leave your common sense at home. Take it along with you!

6. Re: Theft in Namibia?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 October 2012, 20:20