We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

8 Day Desert Explorer overland tour

nova scotia
Level Contributor
18 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
8 Day Desert Explorer overland tour

Hi - considering an 8 day overland accommodated tour of Namibia via Go 2 Africa - has anyone taken this tour / comments?

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
923 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 8 Day Desert Explorer overland tour

Dave, You would get more replies if you said where you are going. You don't need a tour of Namibia. Buy a map. The roads are paved, except if you are going to the NE near Khadum.

Swakopmund, Namibia
Level Contributor
94 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: 8 Day Desert Explorer overland tour

8 Days just for the desert areas is fine ... but then you would not go to Etosha and the northern areas.

The roads are actually not all paved. Most roads are ghravel roads in relatively good condition. The only paved roads are the "main" roads between the biiger towns ... for example from South Africa to Windhoek, Windhoek to Swakopmund, north to Caprivi and the Owamboland area.

I would suggest a 4X4 vehicle but it can be done in a 2WD sedan ... depending on when you nwant to come. The rainy season can be a bit tricky with a small car as there could be flash floods and also sandy rivers to cross.

Hope this helps.

Danie Steyn - Namibia Tours & Safaris

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
923 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 8 Day Desert Explorer overland tour

Danie S: We drove over 1400 miles in Namibia a month after the rains, and the only gravel and/or sandy roads were in Khaudum and up there in the NE; that's the only time we used 4WD. We did not go to the Swakopmund because it's too touristy. Of the four countries we visited, and the 3600 miles we drove overall, Namibia's roads were the most well-maintained.

Hermanus, South...
Destination Expert
for Namibia
Level Contributor
1,636 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 8 Day Desert Explorer overland tour

I think there must be some slight confusion here about what constitutes a gravel road perhaps?

the majority of Namibia's roads are gravel. The only tar ones are the main roads, The B1 running north to south from South Africa up to Angola, the B2 running from Windhoek to Swakop, the B4 from Keetmans to Luderitz and the B8 from Otavi along the Caprivi Strip. Khorixas to Outjo and Kamanjab up north. In the main towns the roads are also generally tar....but all the rest is gravel.

The gravel roads however are for the most part well maintained although can get a bit rough after rains.

I am not sure where you went if the only gravel roads you found were in Khaudom? For example Sossusvlei in not accessible by a tar road. most of Damaraland is gravel really, pretty much all of Kunene is gravel and large parts of that region require 4x4. I guess you could try and stick just to the tar roads but you will miss a lot of special spots.

Gemma Dry - Owner - Discover Namibia Safaris

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
37,001 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 8 Day Desert Explorer overland tour

I think dartmouth dave is thinking of a conducted pre set tour. Just a hunch.

"Up there in NE" there is good tar along B8 for far too many miles! NYStickler amply proves my case that most folks only need a Sedan if they only used 4x4 in Khaudum. Why pay more for smething you don't need??

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
923 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 8 Day Desert Explorer overland tour

We were in Damaraland, and yes, there's gravel but the question was about 4WD and we never used it except on the roads leading into Khaudum and in the park itself. We were on many gravel roads in Namibia but all well-maintained. Of course, we have a lot of experience driving in developing countries around the world and that is what makes a difference with regard to whether or not you have problems self-driving which I think the member was asking.

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
37,001 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 8 Day Desert Explorer overland tour

I thought the question was about the 8 day Desert Explorer overland tour.

My mistake.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
923 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 8 Day Desert Explorer overland tour

Oops . . . well, somebody along the way made it about 4WD, and I guess I got caught up in that. I just wish the questioner would check in!

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,679 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 8 Day Desert Explorer overland tour

NYCS - in your experience of many developing countries, have you come across one with better roads than Namibia?

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
923 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 8 Day Desert Explorer overland tour

Hi, ,Peterscot: Not in the five countries we visited in sub-Saharan Africa. We met some independent travelers on the road in Namibia and they had visited Tanzania where they said the roads were as good.

In our experience, I would say that Central America had the best of the regions we have visited. I'm not sure if I should call Mexico a developing country, but the Yucatan is gorgeous and the roads are good; in Guatemala, you can definitely do a self-drive. Parts of Honduras are okay, too; we drove from Guatemala to Honduras to see the ruin at Copan and it was fine. Also, we had no problems in Morocco where we drove about 1600 miles. Of course, there is usually only one road wherever you are going, but even when they weren't paved, they were well-maintained.