We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Payment

yorkshire
Level Contributor
8 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Payment

Hi we're planning a self drive trip to Namibia and when we try to book hotels they all want to us to send our credit card details either by email of Fax neither of which I would regard as safe. Has anyone done this ? as the only other option is a bank transfer which would add to the cost of the room is there any way round this?

Sally

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
36,585 posts
331 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Payment

I would never send my card details to a Hotel I did not know and trust. cloning is rife and Nambiia is high up the Banks list of places to apply cautions to 'plastic' tansactions.

There is a way around it. Use an in country agent, no names, and get them to make all the bookings for you. That way you make one payment to her/him instead of multiple payments to each Lodge. It costs no more (apart from the T/f fee) and can even cost less if the agent passes on some of the trade discounts.

Hermanus, South...
Destination Expert
for Namibia
Level Contributor
1,624 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Payment

The rules that banks over here have for the processing of manual transactions (ie when you don't physically have the card in front of you to swipe it) are extremely, extremely strict.

All the banks will require the establishment, operator to follow strict rules , including the completion of credit card authorization forms containing your card details, address, contact details, signature, amount to be debited from the card and with some banks also a photocopy of the front and back of the card and a photocopy of your passport.

This is standard practice.

In order to keep a speedpoint machine the banks make regular checks asking to see these authorization forms.

It is basically fraud prevention (both ways) it makes sure the establishment only debits the agreed amount from the cardholder, and also prevents unsavoury clients from trying to charge back afterwards for goods and services they have already received.

If an establishment can't produce the aforementioned form when requested by the bank then they will be in big trouble, possibly have the transaction reversed if it is questionable and likely lose their card machine.

Nashville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
2,264 posts
202 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Payment

I agree with mfuwe- You will come out ahead by using an agent. We saved 15% over what we were going to pay ourselves (even with the agents fee) because of her discount she received when booking. I usually plan and schedule myself, but not for Namibia. It is quite a but cheaper to use someone. I recommend the person that posted above me, but others have their preference.

yorkshire
Level Contributor
8 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Payment

Hi

Thanks to every one who posted replies we are I think going to use an agent

just have to sort out how many nights etc and then we contact one

Naracoorte
Level Contributor
2,863 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Payment

As I have said in the past, we have provided credit card details to a number of establishments on dozens of occasions over the last 10 years and never had a problem.

6. Re: Payment

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 May 2013, 10:25