We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Self Drive Tour Companies

Brisbane, Australia
8 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Self Drive Tour Companies

My family and some frriends are doing a Self Drive Tour of Namibia at the end of the year and are in the process of getting quotes from various companies. We have received good quotes/suggested itineraries from the following companies: Namikala Safaris, Discover Africa, Barefoot Namibia Self-Drive Tours and The Cardboard Box Travel Shop.

Can anyone give me some feedback on these travel companies please. Cheers Julie (Australia)

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
36,617 posts
342 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Self Drive Tour Companies

I have used Carboard Box and they were very good. I also used Discover Nambia (is this who you mean by Discover Africa?). They were even better.

To be honest most Agents in Namibia are good at what they do especially for Self Driven tours. It is after all "only" a matter of arranging a car and booking Lodges of your choice in the areas you want to visit.

Not demeaning the effort they put in to ensure your enjoyment of course and ensuring pick ups and drop off work well for you.

It is of course the quality of the back up should something not go right that makes the difference and I can vouch for Discover-Namibia in this regard.

Fordingbridge...
Level Contributor
2,019 posts
177 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Self Drive Tour Companies

Mfuwe, slight change of subject but I thought that this extract from today's Air Transport World (ATW) would interest you.

<<<<<<Windhoek-based Air Namibia (SW) has ordered two Airbus A319 aircraft. The aircraft, which will seat 112 passengers in a two-class layout and replace two Boeing 737-500s, will operate on the airline’s regional routes from Windhoek to other major African cities, according to Airbus.

SW operates two leased A319s on regional routes and two A340-300 aircraft on its international route between Windhoek to Frankfurt, Airbus said.

“Our in-service experience with Airbus aircraft has confirmed that the A319 is the ideal aircraft for Air Namibia’s regional routes,” said Air Namibia acting CEO Theo Namases. “The efficiency of our new aircraft, together with their commonality with our existing fleet will provide a strong basis for our continued growth and contribution to the Namibian tourist industry.”>>>>>>

Brgds.

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
36,617 posts
342 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Self Drive Tour Companies

Thanks NicMel.

With their service to FRA now daily from March and a 'feeder' route from MAN in place things are looking up. Can't wait to go back.

Fordingbridge...
Level Contributor
2,019 posts
177 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Self Drive Tour Companies

I agree. Probably the best run, most stable country on the African continent.

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
36,617 posts
342 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Self Drive Tour Companies

<<Probably the best run,>> Is that a "Carlsberg" Probably? There are some as might disagree. They don't get my vote til they stop the Seal culls and stop hunting Rhino and Elephant!

Would you like your topic back Julie?

Fordingbridge...
Level Contributor
2,019 posts
177 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Self Drive Tour Companies

Here, here, over to you Julie. Bye bye from 2 old *****!!

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
36,617 posts
342 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Self Drive Tour Companies

Dyslectic too. "Hear Hear!"

Brisbane, Australia
8 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Self Drive Tour Companies

Thanks guys you have been helpful. We've been to Namibia and just loved it so are taking our kids back to see it. We're heading off to Kenya after Namibia so that is good to know about Air Namib. Cheers

Fordingbridge...
Level Contributor
2,019 posts
177 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Self Drive Tour Companies

Oops, glad to help Julie. As for my deliberate spelling slip, I blame it on being on the wrong side of an excellent Thelema Merlot, Stellenbosch 2007. Hic!

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
36,617 posts
342 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Self Drive Tour Companies

Have a great trip.