We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

New Skeleton Coast Camp

Tempe, Arizona
Destination Expert
for South Africa, Sabi Sand Game Reserve
Level Contributor
8,406 posts
58 reviews
Save Topic
New Skeleton Coast Camp

The Wilderness Skeleton Coast camp that was damaged by fire last year will not be replaced at that site. The agreement with the government for Wilderness to use that land is close to expiring and will not be renewed. However, Wilderness was successful in acquiring new land, in a new agreement. Here is the announcement - just made this weekend:

"..Hoanib Skeleton Coast Camp will be located adjacent to the magnificent Hoanib River in the northern reaches of the Palmwag Concession. Activities (game drives and walking) will access the game rich riverbed (elephant, giraffe, lion, oryx), the plains, river valleys and hillsides to the south (black rhino, oryx, mountain zebra, springbok) and most importantly the downstream reaches of the Hoanib River in the Skeleton Coast National Park. This last area has a very important seep and water system that is frequented by many different game species, as it cuts through a spectacular dune field and accesses the Atlantic Ocean coastline. We expect that the new camp will be a 9-roomed Classic camp, with 8 twins and 1 family room.."

Dave Patterson - Owner - The Africa Safari

Edited: 19 February 2012, 16:28
Hermanus, South...
Destination Expert
for Namibia
Level Contributor
1,636 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: New Skeleton Coast Camp

I also got this e mail from Wilderness today. shame. I really hope the new camp is as good as the last as it really was so unique.Best of luck to them with that!

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
37,001 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: New Skeleton Coast Camp

Fire, end of licence, change of location. Do I see a pattern emergng?

Tempe, Arizona
Destination Expert
for South Africa, Sabi Sand Game Reserve
Level Contributor
8,406 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: New Skeleton Coast Camp

Meaning what, Mfuwe. That's a little too opaque for me to get..

Colorado
Level Contributor
229 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: New Skeleton Coast Camp

It is hoped that the new camp (tentatively named Hoanib Skeleton Coast Camp) will be completed on the 1 August 2012. Confirmation of this is expected within the next week, at which time all existing Skeleton Coast Camp bookings will from that date onwards be moved to the new camp.

Jeremy

Author: Self Drive Holidays: How to Travel in Namibia and Make the Most of Your Visit

Big Island, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
25,398 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: New Skeleton Coast Camp

I was booked at Skeleton Coast this November and have now been given the choice to go with the new SK Camp or Serra Cafema. Any thoughts on the choice?

Hermanus, South...
Destination Expert
for Namibia
Level Contributor
1,636 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: New Skeleton Coast Camp

If it were me I would tentatively ask Wilderness Safaris to keep a room at both. That way you have Aug, Sept and Oct (peak season)to see what the feedback is before making the final decision.

I have only ever had excellent feedback from Serra Cafema and Skeleton Coast Camp (never personally visited either as they are only accessible by light aircraft and I just can't get in a little plane!) And I would imagine that Wilderness will pull out all the stops to make the new one a good camp.

I have no info on whether the new camp will also be fly in only, only that it is on the northern section of the Palmwag Concession.

I would be tempted to either go for Serra Cafema, where at least you know what you are getting, or wait until there is some feedback from visitors to the new camp. Believe me, if the new one isn't good then we will hear about it pretty soon in this industry.

Gemma Dry - Discover Namibia Safaris

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,672 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: New Skeleton Coast Camp

Oh Gemma, I never thought I'd contradict you, but Serrra Cafema IS accessible by vehicle.

It may take 2 or 3 days (each way) and need an experienced guide, but it is possible and highly rewarding.

Sheag - how much time do you have? I would have though you could squeeze in 3 nights at each if you are coming all that way...

Hermanus, South...
Destination Expert
for Namibia
Level Contributor
1,636 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: New Skeleton Coast Camp

Well yes technically speaking it is accessible by vehicle. I have a friend that did it, but it isn't common to arrive in that style, and the lodge were horrified when they saw him coming over the dune! And it's certainly not for the fainthearted, and definitely not for tourists to try and have a go at! Can you imagine LOL!

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,672 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: New Skeleton Coast Camp

I agree. Most people at the camp were surprised to see us, as they hadn't heard the plane fly over!

And, if time is short, Flying is the only option.

Big Island, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
25,398 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: New Skeleton Coast Camp

I really can't add another three days at this point, it's part of a much longer 7 week trip, with nine nights in Namibia and six in Botswana.

I think I will do as advised above, and Craig (my agent at Travel Beyond) also suggested we wait and see what the feedback is from people who go in August and September. Thanks!