We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best Travel Book

SF
Level Contributor
88 posts
253 reviews
Save Topic
Best Travel Book

What is the best travel book for Namibia only? We want one that has a good review and pictures of the wildlife that exist on the country? It should be published in the last year or two at the most.

Thank you.

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
37,001 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best Travel Book

I swear by "The Bradt Guide to Namibia" by Chris McIntyre. (He is MD of a UK travel company) and regularly updates the book. Not sure of the latest edition but you can find out on www.bradt-guides.com I think Chris also maintains an update type blog.

Enjoy.

SF
Level Contributor
88 posts
253 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best Travel Book

Thank you Mfuwe. I have been looking at this one too. They have a wildlife guide listed in Appendix 1 (16 pages), but dont know if this is just a listing or if there are pictures. I would like one with pictures.

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
37,001 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best Travel Book

My copy is 2004 (Guide books don't change all that much to warrant me getting every edition and I don't think I even consulted it for my last trip.)

the Appendix is quite good in that it describes the various animals but the illustrations are line drawings but good ones. You would have no problems identifying what you saw from them.

There are also some excellent coloured photographs at intervals in the book itself.

To my mind it is probably the best around.

Obviously there are speciality books just on wildlife but at a high price.

Actually the Official Etosha Map which your tour operator may supply with the Map package does have some very good animal and bird iIlustrations in it with their names in both English and German

Hermanus, South...
Destination Expert
for Namibia
Level Contributor
1,636 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best Travel Book

I also swear by the Bradt Guide, it is by far the best in my opinion. I have edition 4 which is the latest and has some updates from the previous edition, so if you are going to get it then I would suggest you get the most recent. Obviously much of the information is the same for Nambia in generally, but it is more up to date with lodge and restaurant info etc.

The wildlife listings are still just pencil drawings in the back though.

I can't think of any specific field guides that just deal with Namibia to my knowledge, although there may be some.

I use the 'Sasol' Birds of Southern Africa (never leaves my car) and the Struik Field Guide to Mammals of Southern Africa.

Gemma Dry - Discover Namibia Safaris

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,677 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best Travel Book

Hi,

(I agree about the Bradt guide, but....) since you probably already know what an elephant, lion or rhino looks like, you may get more use out of Dr Richard Estes "Safari Companion", which not only tells you what the beasts look like, but also why they are behaving that way, as you observe them.

Much more interesting to have at a waterhole than a series of colour photos.

Get the Kindle version and it won't even weigh anything. (I might get it myself to while away the winter in sunny Stanley).

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
37,001 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best Travel Book

Do Kindles have pictures now?

Since we are into electronic aids can I say "a friend of mine" is working on an App for Safari goers? One for East africa and one for Southern.

Almost ready but I cannot say for sure if out in time for Khaja's trip.

It will be the mammal version of these two bird lists.

https://market.android.com/details…

which are fully interactive with the user.

Edited: 08 March 2012, 15:17
Nashville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
2,264 posts
201 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best Travel Book

Well I haven't been yet, but have several guide books. I think the Brandt guide is good for the country itself, but I don't think the pictures and descriptions are as good as others.

We are taking "The Kingdon pocket guide to African mammals." (2004) It has information and nice color pictures. 250 pages in a 4 inch x 6 inch book. 250 pages. Lightweight. Descibes territory, food, habits and description. Very brief. Mammals only. No birds or reptiles.

We are also taking Ian SInclair's "Birds of Sounthern Africa." (2009) It has actual color photographs. It is small and very complete for our level. Descriptions and photographs make it easy to figure out. It si a thin 3 inch x 5.5 inch, lightweight 150 pages.

We also used the "Traveller's Wildlife Guides to Southern Africa" by Branch, Stuart and Tarboton. (2007) it is larger and not for the pocket. We are taking it in our suitecase. It describes briefly territory and description with a color drawing. It includes birds, reptiles and mammals of southern Africa. It is nearly 500 pages but easy to navigate the mammals and find them. The first few chapters discusses the animals, reptiles and birds.

We have also liked "A Photographic Guide to Birds of Namibia" by Ian and Jackie Sinclair (1995). Very specific to the country. Thin book. Slim and fits in pocket. Color photographs and brief description.

Lastly, we like the "Field Guide to Mammals of Southern Africa" by Chris and Tilde Stuart (2007). It is too big to be considered a pocket guide or take int he field. We will leave it at home and use it afterwards. A little hard to navigate, but it has color photographs and much more of a description of the animals than the other guides.

We used Brandt's to help plan, also used the lonely planet book on Botswana and Namibia. Lots of good information in there as well. Recent edition (2010) is up to date. Easy to use.

I know that is a lot of information, but maybe it will help.

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,677 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best Travel Book

Wow, Stephen! Top marks for homework!

Points deducted for spelling. :-) The Bradt guides are named after the wonderful Hilary Bradt. No "n" anywhere. (Sorry to be picky, but people might google it).

I once used the Footprint guide to Namibia, and could not find my way from one camp to another using its maps. Eventually, I realised that maps of Damaraland had the camps in the WRONG places.

On meeting the publishers at a travel show in London a year later, I told them of this potentially-life-threatening error. "Oh thanks for the feedback. We do love it when someone comments on our travel guides".

I can speak with some little insight, but I know some books are written by people who DO NOT VISIT the places they describe. I know that the Bradt guides do not fall into this category.

Nashville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
2,264 posts
201 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best Travel Book

Sorry, didn't pay close enough attention. I would love to say it was a type-o, but it wasn't. I just had it wrong.

So you worry about things like accuracy of maps and facts, so picky! (just kidding).

I think homework helps to make the trip successful. Also, I enjoy doing it.

SF
Level Contributor
88 posts
253 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Best Travel Book

Thank you ALL for all your information. Yes we like electronic, but also paper. I have ordered the Brandt guide and will download an electronic one too!

Can we all send the Brandt guide a note that cameras have been discovered!!

I gotta say the Nambian forum has been most helpful thanks to all of you. I am very lost on the other part of my trip in Borneo!!