We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sandwich Harbour - Sossusvlei Dunes

Belgium
Level Contributor
319 posts
113 reviews
Save Topic
Sandwich Harbour - Sossusvlei Dunes

After visiting Sandwich Harbour out of Swakopmund is it still interesting to go to Sossusvlei?Isn't it a bit the same stuff?

Hermanus, South...
Destination Expert
for Namibia
Level Contributor
1,663 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sandwich Harbour - Sossusvlei Dunes

I guess it all comes down to personal taste really.

Personally I find the area around Sossusvlei and Deadvlei so peaceful (provided you don't go at a crowded time) and stunning scenically, that it is one of my favorite places on the planet let alone in Namibia. To others (naming no names) it is a pile of sand.

The trip to Sandwich Harbour is an exciting drive over the dunes, where as walking around the Sossusvlei dunes is a more peaceful experience.

If photography is your thing it is virtually impossible to take a bad photo at Sossusvlei and Deadvlei. It is an absolute must for photographers....if not, then it probably wouldn't be the end of the world if you skipped it.

Gemma Dry - Discover Namibia Safaris

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
37,658 posts
374 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sandwich Harbour - Sossusvlei Dunes

Well in the interests of the balanced advice for which this Forum is famous..... "It's a pile of sand!" LoL.

And I never even had to go to Sandwich Bay to think that!

But Namibia is certainly a beautiful country whereever you are!

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,929 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sandwich Harbour - Sossusvlei Dunes

So, by that reckoning, if you have seen one mountain, you don't need to see any others?? 'just more of the same'

I'm with Gemma on this one. It's unique.

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
37,658 posts
374 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sandwich Harbour - Sossusvlei Dunes

<<if you have seen one mountain, you don't need to see any others??>>

That is not what I said Peter. As you are aware from your own travels, Mountains come in all shapes and sizes. Everest, Kilimanjaro, Matterhorn, Margherita, Ben Nevis or Goat Fell..even Tumbledown??

Sand is sand however high you pile it!! It is certainly not unique.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
4,158 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sandwich Harbour - Sossusvlei Dunes

PD, there's no getting around the fact that there's lots of sand in both Sandwich Harbour and Sossusvlei. But the experiences, as Gemma well says, are different and I think very enjoyable. I stopped in Sossusvlei first and, though I'm not the biggest fan of sand, thought the dunes there were world-class sights. At Sandwich Harbour, I was more than just pleasantly surprised at how much I enjoyed the full day tour---going almost 90 degrees down a dune face in a 4x4 was very cool!, as was seeing a black-backed jackal trekking solitarily across a dune off in the distance. And being next to the ocean is way different than being in the middle of the Namib desert. So, no, not really more of the same in my mind.

Edited: 11 April 2012, 20:42
Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,929 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sandwich Harbour - Sossusvlei Dunes

barchan, crescent, linear, dome, etc

All dunes; all different. :-)

Try googling for images, OP. Where else can one climb a 1000foot dune?

Naracoorte
Level Contributor
2,861 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Sandwich Harbour - Sossusvlei Dunes

Well I would say that the Dunes must be seen at least once. For me, I came, I saw and yes, they were very beautiful. But having been back to Namibia several times I have never returned to visit the dunes a second time.

Pickering, United...
Level Contributor
3,298 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Sandwich Harbour - Sossusvlei Dunes

"sand is sand however high you pile it. It is certainly not unique."

Don't dare let geologist hubby read this one! If you go to Sandwich Bay, look at the sand under your binoculars and you will realise that it contains loads of small gemstone fragments such as rubies. Quite exquisite! The early morning light at Sossuvlei was wonderful, enjoyed a walk without huge numbers of folks around. Don't think It's an easy call but I'd probably choose Sossusvlei if I could only do one.

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
37,658 posts
374 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Sandwich Harbour - Sossusvlei Dunes

Ho Ho!

You are right. I could not move down at Sandwich for all those folks on their hands and knees staring at the sand particles through glasses. Not!

There are of course different sands but 90% are simple silica (silicon dioxide, or SiO2), usually in the form of quartz. a principle ingredient in Glass. About as interesting as a Builder's yard however high you pile it.

@Peter, Where else? Plenty of places. Wikipedia has a list.

I'm with tryhard. Been there, done that! Now where are those elephants? Tip! Even the so called Desert Elephants don't go there!

Edited: 14 April 2012, 22:37
Walvis Bay, Namibia
Level Contributor
40 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Sandwich Harbour - Sossusvlei Dunes

Sossusvlei is unique, but so is Sandwich harbour, where the Namibian "Sea of Sand" borders on the mighty Atlantic, as well as other places in Namibia, that many tourists are unaware of.

Luckily all humans are different and as such they like different things and people. I, who have been born in Namibia and seen many, many elephants and other animals, won't go out of my way to see another animal, although I understand that people from out of Africa, can't get enough of our Fauna, which is a good for our country. So I promote it as much as I can.

I really cannot go along with the statement that all other dunes, except Sossuvlei, are just piles of sand. For that matter, the dunes at Sossus are also just piles of sand, but still form a unique place, just like Sandwich Harbour, which many people really enjoy to visit.