We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Should i plan a big family trip to Namibia

London, United...
5 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Should i plan a big family trip to Namibia

For my dads 70th I have (foolishly!) volunteered to plan a ten day trip for my parents,my brother and our kids. I have been yearning to go to Namibia with my boys (10,13) and would love to make that the destination. We are pretty flexible but the rest of my family are all pretty five star tourists. Can I find adventure and luxury in Namibia? The dates are aug 1-10 is that a good time. ? Where and what would you suggest? Thanks for the help!!!!

Edited: 22 April 2012, 22:07
Mwiya Tours and Transfers
Sightseeing Tours, Cultural Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours
Desert Ace Tours & Charters
Sightseeing Tours, 4WD, ATV & Off-Road Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours, City Tours
Ground Rush Adventures
Adrenaline & Extreme Tours, Skydiving, Sightseeing Tours, Air Tours
Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
33,099 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Should i plan a big family trip to Namibia

Yes, you can find luxury and adventure in Namibia.

August is good. (although you've left it late for this year).

Try the circuit Windhoek, Sossusvlei/Namib Desert, Swakopmund, Damaraland, Etosha, Windhoek.

Climb dunes; hot-air ballooning; quad-biking; driving down sand dunes; flights; desert elephants; great national park with wildlife coming down to the watering holes.

Mentioned in this post
Namib Desert
Namib Desert
177 Reviews
Namibia
Hermanus, South...
Destination Expert
for Namibia
Level Contributor
1,678 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Should i plan a big family trip to Namibia

I agree with Peter. There is plenty of adventure and luxury in Namibia. As mentioned above though August is peak, peak season and many lodges are full for a couple of months already with existing waitlists...so you would have to hurry a bit.

Namibia
Level Contributor
557 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Should i plan a big family trip to Namibia

As all mentioned above, there is a lot of luxury lodges in Namibia, but you would have to get going with the planning as August is very, very busy. However as you are loooking at 5 star, you should still be able to get rooms, depending how many people are travelling as most 5 star lodge only have a few rooms.

10 days for Namibia is not much, but you can do quite a bit if you choose the right itinerary. The questions is what you want to do and see? It also depends if you have already been to Namibia or Southern Africa before. For you I would suggest that you do the central Namibia, a bit of the South, Swakopmund, Damaraland and Etosha National Park. More I would not suggest due to lenght of stay.

Mentioned in this post
London, United...
5 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Should i plan a big family trip to Namibia

Thank you so much for the information - wow I better get moving! Would you advise I use a local expert or a UK tour guide? I am maybe one of you might be a local expert! If I had a few ideas of locations and some web sites for resorts I could pitch it to my parents and see if they can be enticed. I am really excited by the idea!

Hermanus, South...
Destination Expert
for Namibia
Level Contributor
1,678 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Should i plan a big family trip to Namibia

If your family are looking for the 5 Star style trip then I can recommend the following.

Sossusvlei - Sossusvlei Desert Lodge . The web address for it is stupidly long, but if you google "& Beyond Sossusvlei Desert Lodge" it will come up. Very nice and luxurious.

Also in the Sossusvlei area you have Little Kulala, part of Wilderness Safaris lodge collection.

Just nearby in the Namib Rand you have the Wolwedans Collection. Really very stunning place to stay www.wolwedans.com

Swakopmund isn't so fab for luxury accommodation, but you could think about the Villa at Stiltz, or some of their view bungalows. www.thestiltz.com

Otherwise I can recommend Atlantik Sicht a 3 bedroom apartment with seaview which you can rent via Cornerstone Guesthouse www.cornerstoneguesthouse.com I stayed there recently and it is very luxurious.

For Damaraland you have a lot of options.

Mowani Mountain Camp www.mowani.com

Desert Rhino Camp, Doro Nawas and Damaraland Camp (part of the Wilderness Safaris lodge collection)

Etendeka Mountain Camp www.etendeka-namibia.com

Inside Etosha you have Dolomite Camp, which I think lives up to a very high standard. Outside by Anderssons gate you can't go wrong with Ongava, or even Anderssons Camp (Wilderness Safaris again).

On the eastern side Onguma Fort is just stunning www.onguma.com

If you show your parents a few of those I am pretty sure you can entice them. It should at least start to get the thoughts flowing a bit.

And if the price starts to get a bit scary there are also really good quality mid range accommodations with excellent service like Camp Kipwe, Grootberg Lodge, Mushara Lodge, Onguma Bush Camp...the list goes on and on

Gemma Dry - Discover Namibia

London, United...
5 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Should i plan a big family trip to Namibia

lots to research - thank you so much for your help! x

Market Bosworth...
Level Contributor
1,742 posts
225 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Should i plan a big family trip to Namibia

Marie I think you just found your local expert ;-)

8. Re: Should i plan a big family trip to Namibia

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 June 2013, 21:15