We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Camp Kipwe Fire

Sacramento...
Level Contributor
25 posts
Save Topic
Camp Kipwe Fire

Currently enjoying our holiday (after a bit of trouble getting started, but that's another post) We're now in Swakop and doing fine.

What I wanted to report on is that we found out from our TA that Camp Kipwe had a fire several days ago that badly damaged their kitchen and dining area.

Luckily our reservation has been moved to Mowani, but I'm not sure how this will impact others plans.

Cape Town
Level Contributor
31 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Camp Kipwe Fire

Thanks for your post (I have in fact followed your trip from the initial planning so really get it... ) as we are about to embark on our travels next month.

We are booked in Mowani so the fire wont effect us (but we were deciding between these camps) but as South African (yes also our first trip to Namib too as the world had previously seemed to have so much to offer ........) fires are way of life - well travelled within SA borders.

How is the weather ? hot in the day ? cold'ish' at night?

Enjoy your trip .

Jackie Cape Town

Hermanus, South...
Destination Expert
for Namibia
Level Contributor
1,658 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Camp Kipwe Fire

Yes sadly a couple of days ago the dining area of Camp Kipwe was damaged by fire. I haven't seen photos of the damage just yet but have a guide up there next week who is going to pop in and check it out for me. These things happen unfortunately, it is a shame as I was just there recently and loved the great outdoors vibe they achieved there.

I know they are where possible moving people to Mowani and Damaraland Camp and they have told me they are in talks with other lodges in the area. I have been told the repairs will be finalised by August. For those that can't be moved the plan because some bookings are falling into peak season is for those clients to have their meals at Mowani which is just down the road. The rooms have not been damaged at all, it is just the communal area.

If you have an agent they are probably already making contingency plans for you. If you did DIY bookings then I would suggest you give them a call to check out what is appending with your booking.

I would like to take a quick moment to say a thanks to Narichia who handles these bookings. You cannot foresee these sorts of things happening, let's face it, it has happened to several other lodges in the recent past, that have been handled pretty badly, not naming names! But she is working so hard to make plans at a time of year that is already one of the busiest, so hats off to her.

Gemma Dry - Discover Namibia Safaris

Windhoek, Namibia
Level Contributor
4 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Camp Kipwe Fire

Hi all, the damage to the lodge has been very sad as the main areas were reduced to rubble. We are hard at work to get it back up as soon as possible. Just waiting for the insurance company to release the site and we will start the clean up process. Builders and thatchers are already on stand by. We are really hoping to get it back up to its former glory by the end of July, in time for high season. But - that will need a lot of hard work and a miracle!

Gemma is right, we have moved all confirmed guests into the 'new' Mowani, and will make sure everyone is accommodated in other lodges if we need to. Don't worry, we promise to look after you!

Starting next week we will be posting regular updates on the re-build progress on our Kipwe page. So watch out for that.

Best regards,

Wilna Beukes

Kipwe Marketing Manager

Nendaz, Switzerland
Level Contributor
35 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Camp Kipwe Fire

so sorry to hear about the fire. Good that you're ok and can carry on your trip.

I just went to their website the resort lokked stunning, hopefully they can rebuild it fast and live can get to normal.

i have another question, sorry, as you're travelling now, how is the weather and the road conditions? We're planning to go exactly in a years time but are a bit uncertain regarding the rain and the road conditions. For any update and infos we would be very thakfully. Especially on the moremi Khwai area, savuit and caprivi.

Thanks

CC

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
43 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Camp Kipwe Fire

Very sad to hear this. Gemma - when you say repairs 'finalised' by August, do you mean completed? or that the plans to repair would be finalised? Thanks

Windhoek, Namibia
Level Contributor
4 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Camp Kipwe Fire

I am pleased to say that Camp Kipwe has been rebuilt and it re-opened on 16 July, looking as beautiful as ever!

7. Re: Camp Kipwe Fire

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 August 2013, 19:16