We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

northern Namibia in Nov.2012

bury,uk
Level Contributor
85 posts
Save Topic
northern Namibia in Nov.2012

Having another think about Namibia(1st visit) - 14 days from 1st.Nov.'12.

Active pensioner couple, our main interests in Namibia are wildlife, scenery,culture. Fewer stops, more time to enjoy. Self-drive with 2wd. car (Toyota Corolla?). Our ideas for places we think we would like:

Arrive late in W/h, so 1st night there.

Days 2-14 in any order ;

Waterberg Plateau,

Africat Foundation,

Etosha N.P.( best 2 places inside?),

Damaraland (Khorixas or ?, )

Cape Cross,

Henties Bay ( fishing?). etc.etc.

I know there are other places well worth seeing but I am the sole driver and we don't want to rush a lot of extra miles. Save them for another time ( hopefully).

Going on to Western Cape for further 2 weeks ( and probably Nepal/India for 2 months early 2013) so have to watch costs a bit.

Thanks in advance. Peter.

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
36,624 posts
342 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: northern Namibia in Nov.2012

Welcome back Peter.

That looks like a straightforward sort of trip and easily doable by one man at the wheel. Most roads are tar and quite empty by European (and M66) Standards so progress is easy and not tiring. Gravel will slow you a bit to 80kph but is generally trouble free.

Consider a sort of circular trip.

Windhoek to Swakopmund (fishing and tours) up the skeleton coast to Henties Bay and Cape Cross. choice of routes to Damaraland from there.

Either continue up the cost to C39 and across into Damaraland. Good wildlife around Palmweg and I like Grootberg Lodge.

Or right hand down at Henties for C35 to Uis and Khorixas. Plenty Lodges around that area.

From either place, they are not far apart go into Etosha by new Galton Gate, 80km north of Kamanjab, and stay at the excellent Dolomite Camp.

Then to Okaukuejo or Halali Camps before exitng at Anderson Gate for Waterberg. From there Afrikat is a short drive and then down to WDH and home.

Think about the route and we can then put some flesh on it by advising on Lodges etc., If you are like me and prefer two or more nights at each stop then skipping Swakopmnd would be an option. Or a longish day from there to Kamanjab/Palmweg would get you back on track.

liverpool
Level Contributor
9 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: northern Namibia in Nov.2012

Killing a bit of time in Swakop just about to finish the trip you are looking at. Brillant country you will love it.

Sorry but the tar roads are limited on this route you will spend far more time on salt (coast), sand and gravel. Unless you have driven them before or if the rains come early I would be doubtful on 2wd.We have seen 4 flats and you don't see many cars. I have spoken to people who have 2wd here (not many) and they have all felt that their enjoyment was somewhat effected by the threat of a punture.

In the park you can only enter the very low key Galton gate if you are staying at Dolomite. That camp is brillant don't miss it.

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
36,624 posts
342 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: northern Namibia in Nov.2012

Lets settle for half and half? From Swakomund into Etosha is mainly gravel apart from the 80km Galton to Kamanjab.

South out of Okaukuejo and Anderson is tar all the way home.

Five trips, 20,000 km, in 2WD No punctures. Two trips in Hi-Luxe 4x4. One puncture each trip. And changing a wheel on a 4x4 is a pig.

Luck of the draw.

Nashville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
2,264 posts
202 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: northern Namibia in Nov.2012

I certainly don't think 2 wheel or 4 wheel makes a difference as far as punctures or flats. I fel more comfortable in 4 wheel, but almost all of what we did was doable in 2 wheel (95% probably). Heavy rains could be difficult for some remote areas in 2 wheel.

I think going to the coast first and headed north and then inland towards etosha. Circuling around down to Windhoek. The amount of wildlife you see "builds" up. If you start north and then end at the coat, you go from huge amounts of wildlife, to moderate wildlife, to scarce wildlife to no wildlife. The scenery climaxes in the mountains (in my opinion). The adrenaline climaxes at the coast.

We enjoyed a route like mfuwe described in march.

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,591 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: northern Namibia in Nov.2012

I think Cape Cross could be an easy day trip from Swak or Henties Bay rather than a overnight stop.

You should be fine in a non-4x4.

Use a local agent to book your stops and leave the worry to them...

Shelly Beach, South...
Level Contributor
251 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: northern Namibia in Nov.2012

We did a reverse trip in May and it worked brilliantly. This was our itinerary to give you an idea of distances and driving time.

Windhoek – Otiwarongo – 295 kms – (3hrs 45 mins)

Stayed at Frans Indongo Lodge 2 nights,

Otiwarongo – Etosha, Okaukuajo – 230kms – (3hrs 15mins)

4 nights in the park,

Etosha – Khorixas – 245kms – (3hrs 30mins)

2 nights Vingerklip lodge

Khorixas – Swakopmund – 353kms – (5hrs)

4 nights in Swakopmund

Swakop – Windhoek – 356kms (3hrs 30mins)

We visited the CCF (Cheetah conservation fund) from Frans Indongo which was fantastic, but you could do Africat at Okonjima and the Waterberg from this stop too and increase it to 3 nights.

I would recommend staying at Swakop and from there you can visit Henties Bay, Cape Cross and do the catamaran trip out of Walvis Bay.

The only dirt road was Khorixas to Swakopmund and this was a very good gravel road, we did the trip in a normal hire Toyota Corolla with no hassles and no need for a 4 x 4.

7. Re: northern Namibia in Nov.2012

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 July 2013, 07:15