We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

road options

Pontypridd, United...
Level Contributor
25 posts
641 reviews
Save Topic
road options

All plans are now in place for our forthcoming trip to Namibia. Just a few items requiring advice about roads remain....I hope!

Our trip in total is 32 nights. Starting from JNB on 5 September, spending three nights Botswana, basically a casual drive to Windhoek with a few nights stop. Three nights at Waterberg, five at Etosha west then east, two Damaraland, three Swakopmund, three Namib/Sossusvlei, one Aus, three Fish River Canyon, then a couple on the way to Cape Town before six nights relaxing there.

All hotels independently booked and we will be travelling in a smallish 2WD saloon car. I know some of the roads will be gravel washboards but we are prepared for this as there’s enough time for each journey and rest between each one. When at lodges/hotels, game and scenic drives will be a combination of the lodge vehicles or our own.

The two issues are for driving mid September;

After viewing Petrified Forest/Twyfelfontein area, would we have to back track along the C43 to Khorixas and go along the C35 to Uis or would the D2612 be suitable for a small 2WD ?

From Sesriem it seems there is a choice of roads to Aus. Either C27 to eventually join C13 or C19/C14 to join the C13. Time wise we have all day to do this drive. Which would be the most scenic? Assuming that both are fine for 2WD.

Thanks in advance for any advice, the forum has already been very useful in getting my plans to this stage.

Hermanus, South...
Destination Expert
for Namibia
Level Contributor
1,663 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: road options

The section of road from C39 down towards Twyfelfontein on the D2612 is badly corrugated. From Twyfelfontein down to the C35 on the D2612 is roughly corrugated in places, but not as bad as the top bit.

In my opinion the C27 down to the C13 is a prettier route, it is worse corrugation wise though.

It wont be wet in September so you won't have those issues to deal with...it is towards the middle/end of peak season though, so the roads can get chowed up a bit by the larger trucks and buses etc, which can make them bumpier.

Gemma Dry - Discover Namibia Safaris

2. Re: road options

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 July 2013, 05:17