We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Namibia to Botswana and Zambia?

Charlottesville...
Level Contributor
66 posts
61 reviews
Save Topic
Namibia to Botswana and Zambia?

Hi, my wife and I plan to start a tour in Namibia, and then travel onto Okavango Delta, then onto Livingstone to see Victoria Falls. Do you have suggestions on modes of travel? e.g., fly from Windhoek to Chobe? Can you hire a safari company to drive from Chobe to Livingstone or is flying better? Thanks in advance.

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,824 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Namibia to Botswana and Zambia?

Hi,

Chobe to Livingstone is only a short drive (2 hours?). Should be easy to get a transfer.

I have done Namibia/Delta in one trip, and there is a danger of missing out the best bits of both countries by trying to squeeze too much in. Better, in my opinion, to do either country well, and not waste time in airports.

Hermanus, South...
Destination Expert
for Namibia
Level Contributor
1,658 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Namibia to Botswana and Zambia?

A lot of companies do transfer services from Kasane to Vic Falls Town or Livingstone. We use Safpar or Wild Horizons most of the time. Much cheaper than flying as it is so close!

If you are ataying in Kasane you can also ask your lodge to organise a transfer, or you lodge you at Vic Falls. It is a common transfer route, you would be looking at around $50 perperson for Kasane to Livingstone.

Gemma Dry - Discover Namibia

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
37,532 posts
360 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Namibia to Botswana and Zambia?

You do not say how many days/weeks you have to take. How on earth can we offer advice without that vital bit?

In short, assuming the norm of 14 to 21 days, you would do well to confine yourself to one country.

Namibia is good for 14 days at least if you intend to range between Sossusvlei in the south and Etosha and Damaraland in the north.

Further up to lies North east and the Caprivi which is much the same as Okavango as you are on the same river. Harder to fit into 14 days but easy in 21.

then as Gemma says, a quick day trip from Kasane, in Namibia, to VictoriaFalls and you are done. Personally I would use the Zimbabwe side as it is quite a good rod and no bridges or Ferries.

Gaborone, Botswana
Level Contributor
417 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Namibia to Botswana and Zambia?

I presume you mean Kasane in Botswana, Mfuwe

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
37,532 posts
360 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Namibia to Botswana and Zambia?

As Humpty Dumpty famously said to Alice, "It means whatever you want it to mean!"

Kasane is a border town twixt Namibia and Botwana. It's all a bit of a blur up there. Man made borders are just a line on the Map.

Edited: 05 August 2012, 10:19
Gaborone, Botswana
Level Contributor
417 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Namibia to Botswana and Zambia?

Actually the border town/village is Kazungula and Kasane is purely in Botswana. But I take your point. I just didn't want anyone looking for Kasane in Namibia thinking they wouldn't need to cross the border either at Ngoma Bridge or the Kazungula ferry into Botswana

Charlottesville...
Level Contributor
66 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Namibia to Botswana and Zambia?

Thank you for your feedback. So getting from Chobe/Caprivi to the Falls is possible and common. So much to see in southern Africa!

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
37,532 posts
360 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Namibia to Botswana and Zambia?

Not only possible but relatively easy.

9. Re: Namibia to Botswana and Zambia?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 August 2013, 03:15