We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

7 weeks until we go....

Brisbane
Level Contributor
206 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
7 weeks until we go....

....has anyone got any hot tips, or words of wisdom? Anything you wished you had known before you went? Or something you wish you had done?

Our itinerary includes Windhoek, Etosha, Grootberg lodge, Cape Cross and the dunes. All reservations made through the Cardboard Box Company.

Thanks all, and I promise a trip report with photos at the end!

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
37,389 posts
360 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 7 weeks until we go....

If you have not been before pack plenty of patience and optimism and leave behind any re-conceived notions of African and Namibia.

Have a great time and say Hi to Martin and everyone at Grootberg. Do the Rhino trekking.

Come back safe. A promise is a promise.

Kent
Level Contributor
1,573 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: 7 weeks until we go....

If you've not already seen it there is a great trip report from safrican4ever ... Joe's beerhouse is a must.

Brisbane
Level Contributor
206 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 7 weeks until we go....

Thanks Mfuwe! Great advice! We are very happy travelers generally (a bad day on holiday beats the heck out of a good day at work) so I'm sure we'll have enough patience and heaps of optimism!

Joe's Beerhouse added to the list!

Thanks again.

Market Bosworth...
Level Contributor
1,737 posts
225 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 7 weeks until we go....

I saw a great bit of advice and I can't remember if it was from mfuwe or Peter but it was don't drive over elephant dung they eat thorns...! Did make me smile when I ready it but we did stick to it!

Take more cards for your camera than yiu think you will need, you will use them ;-)

Looking forward to that trip report and photos!

Have a fantastic trip!!!

Nashville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
2,267 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 7 weeks until we go....

Don't get in a hurry. You don't want to end up in a ditch going around a turn too fast.

Plan for more time than you think. It is a long distance and you won't be able to average 100km/hr.

Stop and enjoy things, don't just drive from point to point and not see the country.

Have fun!

Windhoek, Namibia
Level Contributor
32 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: 7 weeks until we go....

Here are some words of wisdom that we think are pertinent when traveling through Namibia:

“A good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving.” – Lao Tzu (Have a plan but be flexible)

“The traveler sees what he sees, the tourist sees what he has come to see.” – G.K. Chesterton (As Mufwe says, leave preconceived notions at home)

“Too often. . .I would hear men boast of the miles covered that day, rarely of what they had seen.” – Louis L’Amour ( We cannot stress this enough. Take your time! It's not about the destination but the adventure along the way.)

“The traveler was active; he went strenuously in search of people, of adventure, of experience. The tourist is passive; he expects interesting things to happen to him. He goes “sight-seeing.” – Daniel J. Boorstin (Namibia is an incredibly rewarding destination, particularly if you actively seek the adventure. The more you put in, the more you will get out.)

“I’d rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth.” – Steve McQueen (The true beauty of Namibia!)

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
37,389 posts
360 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 7 weeks until we go....

Wise words. Thanks for sharing them.

Brisbane
Level Contributor
206 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 7 weeks until we go....

Great quotes - we are definitely travellers!

North Chicago...
9 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: 7 weeks until we go....

Just enjoy your trip and never forget your camera. Etosha's a great place to see game viewing and lots of elephants. You can also check out the Caprivi Strip for more game animals. You can check this article out for other Namibian attractions: …net46.net/5-stunning-attractions-to-visit-i…

Market Bosworth...
Level Contributor
1,737 posts
225 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 7 weeks until we go....

Thanks to the link to your article...