We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Self drive to Etosha and Kaokoland

Wheatland, Wyoming
Level Contributor
161 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
Self drive to Etosha and Kaokoland

I am looking at travel to Namibia in mid November and am requesting information concerning auto rental to self drive to Etosha, Sesfontein and Opuwo.

Would this circuit be doable/advisable in a 2wd at this time of year?

My interest in the Kaokoland is the Himba culture, could I find a good alternative to driving all the way to Opuwo?

I have read about offerings from Palmwag but it appears current management ends October 31, does anybody know if a new operator is in place from November 1?

Hermanus, South...
Destination Expert
for Namibia
Level Contributor
1,637 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Self drive to Etosha and Kaokoland

In a sedan car it is going to be pretty uncomfy to do that route. In a 2x4 it will be better. You don't have the bother of river crossing etc in Nov.

It is unsure what the new management at Palmwag will offer as activities, but if you want to do Himba activities without going north to Opuwo then I recommend the trips from Khowarib Lodge and Grootberg Lodge, both are very good. I actually think better than the ones you can do from Opuwo.

Gemma Dry -Discover Namibia Safaris

Windhoek, Namibia
Level Contributor
260 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Self drive to Etosha and Kaokoland

Hi, I agree with Gemma, in fact I would recommend a 4x4 in November but then I always err on the side of caution which is sometimes not totally necessary! As Gemma says, we have not heard news of the new Palmwag management as yet but the Himba visits from both Khowarib & Grootberg are very good, there is also Gelbingen Guest Farm which has had excellent feedback from our guests.

Charlotte ATI Holidays

3. Re: Self drive to Etosha and Kaokoland

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 October 2013, 10:17