We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

2+ weeks in Namibia - November 2013

Thurso, United...
Level Contributor
335 posts
141 reviews
Save Topic
2+ weeks in Namibia - November 2013

Going to the above next November - will be on my todd as partner is taking part in an event!! Can anybody advise what a solo traveller could do? My father goes shooting here frequently with german friends so he is right up on the "real" safari lark - I would like to go into the bush - so with that in mind - what are the chances of seeing the big 5 in novemeber here???? or is it wrong time of year?? We are going to Botswana in 2014 (i think) and will be in south africa at some point and may go up to Kruger??? (or not) - i know that i will i hopefully will see them all perhaps at different times!! ANy hints and tips welcome - thanks (faither shooting in sweden just now so cant ask him) and i have not done any homework on Namibia myself as yet! Would just like a kickstart!! Cheers

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
37,650 posts
374 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 2+ weeks in Namibia - November 2013

Fly into Windhoek and pick up Car and meet your Agent for the vouchers they will have for the accommodaton you have chosen. Head North to Damaraland and Etosha and you will 'probably' see 4 of the 5. (Why this fixation? There are lots of other equally ineresting animals out there!)

For the fifth, buffalo, you will have to go right up to the Caprivi area which is really too far in the two weeks you have but possible.

Now do your homework, but the Bradt Guide to Namibia" and decide what you wish to do . Then contact a good agent in Namibia to make the bookings for you.

Thurso, United...
Level Contributor
335 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 2+ weeks in Namibia - November 2013

Thanks for that - i will be flying out with partner and then i think we will go our separate ways - father has friends who i think own a few reserves but not sure exactly where or anything yet - so could end up staying in one of those but as i am not out hunting then its probably the wrong place for me to be - i dont know yet! was on TA for something else so thought i would just pop onto the forum!! Its not a fixaton on the Big 5 - i know there are 100's of other animals roaming around as well its just more thats kinda what an uneducated tourist like myself would do in africa!!

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
37,650 posts
374 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 2+ weeks in Namibia - November 2013

True enough.

Get the guide book to,see what there is out there and then ask yourself whether you are comfortable doing a self drive, easy enough with many tar roads. If so, this is the way to go and a good agent, see list, will be able to put the whole thing together for you. Then ask your self question 2. How comfortable do you think you will be in close contact with large Mammals?

Again this is quite safe if you use common sense or you can go on "Game Drives" in another vehicle.Or indeed walk in some places like Grootberg who will get you close on foot to Black Rhino. I bet your Dad has not done that. Just you, a Ranger and your Camera.

From Thurso you may wish to fly to Frankfurt to connect with Air Namibia's daily flight direct to Windhoek and thus avoid the horrors of Heathrow and Jburg.

Thurso, United...
Level Contributor
335 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 2+ weeks in Namibia - November 2013

A definite NO to the self-drive!!! wouldnt be confident enough out there on my todd!!! and knowing me - i would probably end up driving - "where no man had driven before"!!!!!!!!!!!! HA!HA! - too much thinking required and would take away from the pleasure - and also the unkown thought of where i "might" end up!!!

I think game drives would probably be best for me - where i dont need to use my head!!!

I think on foot and up close to a Black Rhino? NO!!!! i am not in the usain bolt league i'm afraid and you are probably correct about my father too - he is lesser bolt than me!!!! but i have no doubt that would REALLY be exciting to do - my partner would be up for that excitement though!

I know the route from thurso as have booked many flights so that part isnt a problem

have just bought the book!!! - so will await its arrival - cause even if you think you know it all there is always something that you dont - i havent heard of those books before and see there are quite a lot of them!!! so may be handy for future reference!!

thanks again for your help!!

In fact i am just remembering we were provisionally booked in a reserve last march - tembe elephant reserve??? - but that was over on east coast - but ended up we had to go to cancel last minute!! in fact - we have a webcam for it on our computer at home!!! i am sure it is tembe it was called!!

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
37,650 posts
374 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 2+ weeks in Namibia - November 2013

Bradt Guides are very useful to have. I never travel without one especially if written by Philip Briggs as his style matches mine.

You don't have to be a Bolt when Rhino are around. "When you see a Rhino think of a tree!" is an old African proverb. But really it is quite safe.

Tembe is in RSA.

Thurso, United...
Level Contributor
335 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 2+ weeks in Namibia - November 2013

You learn somethign new everyday!!! never heard of them or him for that matter!! so interesting piece of info!!

Looking at your posts - do you not think you should be jotting down all your little pieces of info - you must be a solid hive of information!!! and getting it published for the likes of us novices to learn from - OR jot it all down and leave it in your memoires!!!!!

HA!HA! funnily enough - i just cant imagine me seeing a rhino and thinking of a tree!!! - and you probably are right about being safe!! BUT tree??? think i would be more inclined to want to climb a tree!! HA!HA!

I just actually googled the tembe reserve after i had typed it on here!!! i knew it was in either KwaZulu-Natal or Swaziland - but didnt realise they were both in SA - i thought they were outwith and further to the north!! Africa is such a massive continent!!!

I will read book and get back to you if need to query anything - thank you very much for your help!! cheers

Windhoek, Namibia
Level Contributor
260 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 2+ weeks in Namibia - November 2013

Hi, if you aren't keen to self drive then you're looking at either flying between lodges which can be pricey (although in November you should be able to get better lodge prices and most inter lodge flights without a single supplement). Or, taking a private guide to drive you around which will also be pricey, or joining a scheduled guided tour with a small group of other travellers.

Small groups tours as good as they are a cheaper alternative to a private tour or flying, but they don't give you as much flexibility, and of course you may not get on with all of the other group members! Maybe a combination, so a short group trip to the south for instance, followed by being dropped off in Swakopmund which you can explore alone easily, then maybe taking a private guide or flying to see the north? That would give you good variety and keep the price reasonable?

Charlotte ATI Holidays

Thurso, United...
Level Contributor
335 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 2+ weeks in Namibia - November 2013

At present i havent had much time to look at this BUT i have copied and pasted from another forum of maybe an idea of what to do - can you look at it as advise

What i would like to do is see the Black Rhino!!! I have made my mind made up on that

so as of yet i have no idea where they roam etc so maybe this itinerary is no good

Any advice most welcome!! - i know that i can probably cut out one or two and make longer others - so see what yous all think!

Dusternbrook Guest Farm 2 nights

Dolomite Camp 2 nights

Okaukuejo Camp 2 nights

Halali Camp 2 nights

Frans Indongo Lodge 2 nights

Okonjima 2 nights

Onguma Bush Camp 2 night

thank you in advance

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
37,650 posts
374 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 2+ weeks in Namibia - November 2013

Are you driving now? That is a good itinerary for a self drive.

Rhinos. White at Dusternbrook, and Frans Indongo. They will take you to see them in their cars.

Blackies in Etosha, at Okaukuejo and Halali at night, 9 pm on, at the floodlit Waterholes and if lucky on game drives in daylight. That guy on my pict lives in Etosha.

If you want to trak them on foot, Grootberg Lodge is good for that.

Speaking of which. the proverb. and thinking of a tree. That's the general idea. Find a Blackie and find a tree, to climb.

Nashville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
2,273 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 2+ weeks in Namibia - November 2013

We saw 8 black rhinos in Etosha in 5 days (during the "bad game viewing" time of year). We were most productive in Dolomite but the watering holes are supposed to be good (as mentioned above). I like your itinerary and agree with Mfuwe- do a self drive. This is a good route for it. Easy to do in Namibia. We did it our first trip to Africa (and were worried prior to doing it). Very easy, affordable and rewarding.

I like the idea of 2 nights everywhere instead on one night stands and too much driving.

I believe you would want to change the order of your accommodations. Onguma is back up in eastern Etosha. If you are going to do Onguma, then I would do it after Halali and before heading down the B1 to Frans indongo and Okonjima.

Also, I would choose one or the other between those 2 and spend the extra 2 days in Damarland before heading up to Etosha.

So for me, it would make more sense to do the following:

Dusternbrook guest farm 2 nights (or somewhere a little further north)

Somewhere in Damarland (Camp Kipwe, Mowani mountain, grootberg lodge) for 2 nights.

Dolomite 2 nights

Okaukeujo 2 nights

Halali 2 nights

Onguma 2 nights

Onkonjima 2 nights (or save money and change to Frans Indongo)

This would be better than backtracking back up to Etosha after heading to Frans Indongo or Onkonjima.

Also, you might consider making a little more progress your first day, depending on what time you land, and try to make it up to Otijiwarongo area for the first 2 nights. That would shorten then next drive to Damarland. Would give you another landscape to see. Damarland was one of the prettiest areas in the country.

Just a thought.