We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Showing up at camp sites without reservation mid January

skyman35
Level Contributor
1 post
5 reviews
Save Topic
Showing up at camp sites without reservation mid January

I am planning a trip in Namibia sometime between January 15 through February 5. I will have a 4 wheel drive vehicle with a pop up tent on top. I do not want to be stuck to an itinerary. How easy is it to show up at a camp ground without a reservation and get a spot? How about if I called that morning or day before?

Windhoek
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Showing up at camp sites without reservation mid January

Hi, you should be fine at that time of year. It's low season anyway and it's also after the Namibian and South African schools go back, so the campsites should be very quiet. I would probably still recommend pre-booking Etosha and Sesriem if you want to stay inside the Parks, but otherwise you should be fine to just call the day before so as to double check before you turn up.

Charlotte ATI Holidays

Dallas
Level Contributor
119 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Showing up at camp sites without reservation mid January

We are traveling that same period, but NOT camping. We are obviously very late in doing our planning as we are just starting the process now. At this late date, will we still be able to get accommodations inside the park at Etosha and Sesriem?

Dallas
Level Contributor
119 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Showing up at camp sites without reservation mid January

We are traveling that same period, but NOT camping. We are obviously very late in doing our planning as we are just starting the process now. At this late date, will we still be able to get accommodations inside the park at Etosha and Sesriem?

Edited: 31 December 2012, 04:37
Aberdeen, UK
Level Contributor
255 posts
244 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Showing up at camp sites without reservation mid January

You can only try. We were there start of January (a few years back) and Etosha and sossusvlei/sesriem areas were full. I suggest you contact places and see how you get on.

5. Re: Showing up at camp sites without reservation mid January

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 January 2014, 10:15