We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Can we rent some camping gear for part of the trip only ?

Leicester, United...
Level Contributor
1,233 posts
85 reviews
Save Topic
Can we rent some camping gear for part of the trip only ?

Dear all,

It looks like despite my attempts I'm letting my heart rule my head and it has decided a trip to Namibia would not be complete without climbing Big Daddy before sunrise and seeing the sunrise over Deadvlei and seeing the sunset from Dune 45.

But as we are a family of four so when I do the calculation of two nights' stay at Sossus Dune Lodge inside the gates, my poor heart almost gets a heart attack.

The only other option is to stay at Sesriem camp site. Regrettably we have no experience of camping and the plan was to stay in lodges and self-catering facilities. But for the sake of my "perfect shot" I'm willing to stay couple of nights at Sesriem campsite. I'm not after luxury and a tent and clean facilities would do me nicely.

But we don't want to continue camping for the rest of the trip.

I'm wondering whether it's possible to rent some basic camping gear like tents, sleeping bags, mattresses etc from Windhoek or Solitaire for 2-3 nights and then drop off the stuff at Swako/Solitaire and continue with the rest of the trip staying in lodges as planned?

I've read from Gemma's post that guests at Sesriem campsite can have meal arrangements at Sossusvlei Lodge just outside the gate so we don't need to rent any cooking equipment.

Has anyone tried this before ? Thanks in advance for any advice.

Cheers

Hermanus, South...
Destination Expert
for Namibia
Level Contributor
1,647 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Can we rent some camping gear for part of the trip only ?

It is certainly possible.

Who are you renting your car from and when are you travelling.......plans can always be made :o)

Leicester, United...
Level Contributor
1,233 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Can we rent some camping gear for part of the trip only ?

Thanks Gemma for your reassuring and prompt reply. Nothing is finalised yet.

It's nice to know that is a feasible option.

I can't seem to get out of the planning stage only !!

God only knows what will happen when it comes to execution.

I can raise all my queries with my travel agent but I like to ask them in the TA forum first as I hope someone else might benefit from the exchanges.

Cheers

Hermanus, South...
Destination Expert
for Namibia
Level Contributor
1,647 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Can we rent some camping gear for part of the trip only ?

You will have a fabulous time. Just relax into it and enjoy.

Don't over plan!

Windhoek, Namibia
Level Contributor
260 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Can we rent some camping gear for part of the trip only ?

You can rent individual bits and pieces of camping equipment from Adventure Camping Hire in Windhoek, but I'm not sure if they have any provision for dropping it off in Swakopmund. I'm sure that as Gemma says, a plan could be made. There are companies such as Townhoppers who offer a shuttle service between Windhoek and Swakopmund and maybe they would be willing to carry the equipment back for a fee. Not sure how this would work in terms of liability if anything got lost though!

You may just be better hiring the basic equipment that you need and carrying it with you all the way around to be safe.

Charlotte ATI Holidays

Leicester, United...
Level Contributor
1,233 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Can we rent some camping gear for part of the trip only ?

Thanks Charlotte for your suggestions.

Of course I have to look into the practicalities. If it becomes too expensive to arrange partial renting and drop off then I may have to abandon the idea.

I really don't want to lug all the stuff for four of us for next two weeks.

Cheers.

J M
Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
5 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Can we rent some camping gear for part of the trip only ?

Hi Gemma,

My friends and I are looking into camping at either Sesriem Campsite or Sossus Oasis Campsite for a few days in January, 2014. Could you please inform me of locations nearby to Sossusvlei/Sesriem where we could rent and return our camping equipment?

Any advice would be very much appreciated!

Hermanus, South...
Destination Expert
for Namibia
Level Contributor
1,647 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Can we rent some camping gear for part of the trip only ?

There isn't exactly anywhere local to that area where there is a rental outlet. Where will you be previous to that and afterwards as you would need to rent at one spot and return elsewhere?

The other option if you are looking to camp to keep costs down for that area is Agama River Camp. It is further out, but they have campsites where they provide the tent and bedding etc.

J M
Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
5 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Can we rent some camping gear for part of the trip only ?

Ah, I figured there wouldn't be anywhere local to rent equipment from. Too bad :(

Immediately, we will be coming into Sesriem from Fish River Canyon (long drive that day), staying at Sesriem Campsite for 3 days/2 nights, and then heading onwards to Swakopmund. But our larger trip is starting in Capetown with an ultimate destination of Windhoek. Any chance that you're aware of a company that would allow us to rent equipment in CT and return in Windhoek?

We considered Agama River Camp, but we really have our hearts set on seeing sunrise and/or sunset at the dunes. Thus, our only option is to stay at Sesriem campsite (Sossus Dune Lodge is already booked during the time that we're there).

Thank you again!

9. Re: Can we rent some camping gear for part of the trip only ?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 October 2014, 05:16