We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Suggestions on what NOT TO MISS on the Namibia tour.

Sion, Switzerland
Level Contributor
32 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
Suggestions on what NOT TO MISS on the Namibia tour.

Hi

We have already book a 27day trip in may 2013. I am wondering whether someone can point out some points of interest and small D-Tours to do when we drive from A to B. I am open even to change some of the planned routes. Not really the destinations as we have already booked.

I have listed our itinerary below.

• Windhoek to Sesriem Campsite (2 nights)

Scenic drive through the Tirasberge Mountains

• Sesriem to Swakopmund (1 night)

drive through Kuiseb Canyon and Guab Pass

• Swakopmund to Mowani Mountain camp

drive through Damaraland

• Mowani camp to Grootberg Lodge - Camp Site

• Grootberg to Dolomite camp

drive through to Etosha National Park

Grootberg to Okaukuejo Camp

Drive through Etos

• Okaukuejo to Halali

drive through Etosha

• Halali to Onguma Bush Camp

• Onguma Bush camp to Nunda River Lodge Caprivi region, Kavango River

• Nunda River Lodge Caprivi region, Kavango River to Kwandoo Camp, Caprivi, Linyanti River

After this we will enter Botswana.

Thank for any suggestions .

Windhoek, Namibia
Level Contributor
260 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Suggestions on what NOT TO MISS on the Namibia tour.

Hi, it depends on how long you have in each place really, as to how much you can fit in. If you have time I would really recommend Twyfelfontein World Heritage site as well as the Damara Living Museum, both worth a visit and each would take an hour or so.

I assume you will enter Etosha through the Galton gate on your way to Dolomite? That would be the route I would recommend.

If you have a 4x4 then you can drive from Windhoek to Sesriem via either the Spreetshoogte Pass or the Remhoogte Pass. There is a more direct route, but the scenery is more dramatic on either of those roads.

I'm sure you will have a wonderful trip!

Charlotte ATI Holidays

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,954 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Suggestions on what NOT TO MISS on the Namibia tour.

I would also try to see Sandwich Harbour and Cape Cross, but you would need more time around Swakopmund.

And while in Damaralnd, I would try to see desert elephants. Maybe at Grootberg?

Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for Washington DC
Level Contributor
2,277 posts
252 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Suggestions on what NOT TO MISS on the Namibia tour.

I would recommend Opuwa where the Himba are but this is very out of the way, so you need time

Windhoek, Namibia
Level Contributor
260 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Suggestions on what NOT TO MISS on the Namibia tour.

Yes, Grootberg can be a really good place for the desert eles. I know that they haven't been around Twyfelfontein much lately because of the localised rain, but by May they should be in that area again, so maybe also from Mowani? They offer a morning nature drive for N$540 per person, but it can be quite long depending on where the animals are so you really need a 2 night stay to include that.

Charlotte ATI Holidays

Nashville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
2,273 posts
205 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Suggestions on what NOT TO MISS on the Namibia tour.

We saw the desert elephants from Mowani this past March/April. Then do rhino trecking from grootberg. Covers both and in 2 different locations. There is a nature drive (asd mentioned by Charlotte) in Mowani and a Safari drive at Grootberg (along the creek/river). Those are worth doing but don't expect animal numbers like Etosha. Our most "interesting" elephant story comes from Grootberg...

Also recommend Twyfelfontein. Consider organ pipes and burnt mountain while in the area. Burnt mountain is best if you get there towards sunset, but don't miss sundowners at Mowani.

I would have recommended Kavita Lion lodge (Africats north) just north of Kamanjab, but they closed to tourist last month. What a shame...

There are several good tours out of Swakopmund, but would require more time in the area. The Living Desert tour is supposed to be very good. The kayaking with the seals was one of our best experiences. Other adrenaline stuff available if interested.

We stopped several times along the road at roadside markets and himba markets and bought trinkets and talked witht he ladies. My daughters really thought that was neat. Easy to do in Damarland once you get close to and pass Uis almost all the way up to Mowani.

Make sure you plan time for sundowners at Mowani. One of the most beautiful views you will ever experience atop the mountain on the rock, with drinks and appetizers, sitting on a pillow, watching the sunset.

Windhoek, Namibia
Level Contributor
324 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Suggestions on what NOT TO MISS on the Namibia tour.

hi Davecorina

suggestions below:

1) go via sptreetshoogte Pass, beautiful view of the Namib and shortest route to Sesriem.

2) 1 night Swakop - kristall Gallery, quad biking, skydiving, shark fishing at night, Tiger reef beach bar for sunset.

3) Mowani - Game drive in Huab river, look for elephants

4) Himba village near kamanjab, it is a traditional village open to tourists, you have a guided tour for a few hours.

5) caprivi - Horseshoe game drive, you can do it in your own vehicle, i was there 2 weeks ago and saw African wild Dogs, jsut ask at the lodge, Nambwa campsite is in the park, one of my favourite campsites in Namibia

6) Mudumu & mamili game reserves, this areas are game corridors and always allot of movement of wildlife.

hope it help! :)

Namvic Tours And safaris

Sion, Switzerland
Level Contributor
32 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Suggestions on what NOT TO MISS on the Namibia tour.

Wow thank you all so much for the replies. I will start making a plan and maybe come back with some more questions.

Can't wait until may...

Nashville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
2,273 posts
205 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Suggestions on what NOT TO MISS on the Namibia tour.

Good luck Dave-

We are going back in June. I am right there with you, can't wait....

Edited: 10 January 2013, 15:00
Sion, Switzerland
Level Contributor
32 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Suggestions on what NOT TO MISS on the Namibia tour.

Hi Chris

What about the Remhoogte Pass instead of the sptreetshoogte Pass?

Thanks

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
1,565 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Suggestions on what NOT TO MISS on the Namibia tour.

Hi Davecorina.

Where to start

I am not so good at Swako end so starting at Grootberg

Damaraland incredible. I did Rhino tracking in June at GBerg which was excellent. Also saw ellies in distance and giraffe!! (Look at new BBC Africa series prog 1... brill) Etosha harder work that time of year. The best general rule is get up early, get info, and get out of the gates as they open. best waterhole to head for at Okaukeujo for is probably Okandeka, again featured on BBC but its green this time of year with less game at holes and hence less predators. Waterhole at Oka still brilliant but Hilali can be very quiet but still should be black rhino in area. As you go East Chudop always worth a shot at crack of dawn also Klein Namuntoni and Di Dik drive. Go slowly. There are ellies but you may have to be more patient than the average tourist. Unsurprisingly Olifantsbad reliable.

I hope Nunda River lodge has improved, we wernt that keen though it wasnt bad but its well worth taking a sunset trip and see the wildlife along the banks and amazing sunsets.

Have fun