We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

UK to Windhoek air fares

Berks UK
Level Contributor
187 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
UK to Windhoek air fares

We are looking at going in late October for 2-3 weeks. Can anyone offer tips on best airfares/routes and ways to get them ?

Fylde
Level Contributor
13 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: UK to Windhoek air fares

Using the internet I booked Mcr/Frankfurt with BMI then F'furt/Windhoek with Air Namibia giving an early morning arrival. This was cheaper than BA/SAA going to J'burg and then onto W'hoek tho I understand from other posters on here that Air namibia have upped their prices.

Hope this helps.

Namibia
Level Contributor
557 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: UK to Windhoek air fares

Check with Air Namibia direct on www.airnamibia.com.na and than you can fly from the UK to Frankfurt, there are quite a few connections from the UK there. Usually works out cheapest, but also check on www.ebookers.com as they sometimes have very good prices as well, but you than usually have to fly via Johannesburg, but sometimes they have really good prices. Last year got a flight return to Frankfurt for 650 Euros and than it makes sense to add a few hours connection at Johannesburg.

By October Air Namibia should also have their new A330!

Clive - Suricate Safaris

Berks UK
Level Contributor
187 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: UK to Windhoek air fares

Thanks for the replies so far.

I have been direct from UK to Windhoek before on Air Namibia and also via various other indirect routes, Jo Bg, CT, Dubia etc, so I do know the routes well, I am also aware of ebookers.

Was just really wondering what prices people were getting at the moment and from where exactly so that I might bag a cheapy myself, seams £800 ish is about the best I can find.

Leicester, United...
Level Contributor
1,242 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: UK to Windhoek air fares

Hi,

I've been keeping an eye on August fares for a while. I also thought of the Frankfurt option to avoid the exorbitant APD levied on long haul flights by the UK govt. But the prices for Air Namibia in August is just ridiculous.

FRA-WDH : £1100. What the ????

I hope that will come down in future.

You may have better luck for October but the cheapest decent option in August for me was flying with KLM to Jo'Burg and booking separately to WDH. This is marginally cheaper ( but more hassle and separate tickets which I don't like) than the SAA flight via JNB which has been steady around £835 for last 6 weeks.

And I've tried all different sorts of permutation combinations in KAYAK.

The days of cheap air travel are well and truly over.

Namibia
Level Contributor
557 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: UK to Windhoek air fares

Sadly you won't get a cheap rate with Air Namibia in August as this is absolute high season. Their are throusands of Italians that come to Namibia in August as it is their main holiday season and therefore the flights are very, very full and therefore expensive.

Check the flights in October or November and you'll see the difference. I hope you still find cheap flights, I know how frustrating this can be.

Clive - Suricate Safaris Namibia

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
1,540 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: UK to Windhoek air fares

Check out Turkish Airlines(Europes airline of the year!!). Great prices via Istanbul to joberg. Then pay round £200 return to Windhoek still hugely cheaper.

Windhoek, Namibia
Level Contributor
260 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: UK to Windhoek air fares

Having looked recently it seems SAA is the best option flying from the UK via Jo'Burg, but the prices seem to change quickly and they were about the same as BA or Virgin (with flying Virgin from the UK to Jo'Burg you have to then buy a seperate ticket for the Windhoek leg with SAA, Air Namibia or BA).

Air Namibia have put their prices up hugely it seems, they have also cut their Frankfurt schedule from 7 times per week to just 4 for the next six months while they are between returning their leased aircraft and bringing their new ones online. As Clive says, hopefully by October the new planes will be flying, but the problem we seem to be having with Air Namibia at the moment is that they are changing the scheulde with very little notice, meaning that we are having to replan guests trips at the last minute (or even when they are already in country). I know all airlines do this from time to time, but Air Namibia have won the prize for this over the past year!

Good luck finding a decent flight, they can be horribly expensive I know.

Charlotte ATI Holidays

Berks UK
Level Contributor
187 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: UK to Windhoek air fares

Thank you all so far

Hermanus, South...
Destination Expert
for Namibia
Level Contributor
1,663 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: UK to Windhoek air fares

Agree with Charlotte. Air Namibia have been absolutely dreadful this season when it comes to scheduling changes right at the last minute, or even whilst people are on their trip. We also have been running around like headless chickens rearranging arrangements for clients.

Having said that SAA have been delayed coming into Windhoek more times than I would care to mention, and lets not talk about delayed baggage, resulting in the fact that we are now seriously advising that even if you have an early arrival into Windhoek you have that first night in or near the city to allow for scheduling changes, delays and for bags to catch up with you!

Berks UK
Level Contributor
187 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: UK to Windhoek air fares

Maybe the best bet is fly to Jo - BG then drive across Bots...done that trip before and it's rather nice, just uses up about 4 days of your holiday