We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Itinerary Thoughts?

Level Contributor
7 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Itinerary Thoughts?

My wife and I are planning a 15-day Southern Africa trip (our first!) for mid-April, and could use some itinerary feedback/recommendations. We're flying into Cape Town and we're eager (overly ambitious?) to cover a lot of area over a short period of time. Any comments would be helpful!

Must Do's: Cape Town, Vic Falls, and a safari.

Would like to do: J-Bay or wine country, and/or Namibia (dunes or skeleton coast)

Questions/Thoughts: Is it possible to fit this all in one 15-day trip? What would be our best safari options (is Kruger a must-see, or would we have just as fun in Chobe, Okavango, or Estosha, or somewhere that logistically would enable us to get it all in)?!?! Is Namibia too far out of the way to see either the sand dunes or skeloton coast? What's the best way to go about getting flights?

I'm even more excited after writing this! Thanks for the help!!

Nashville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
2,264 posts
202 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Itinerary Thoughts?

15 days is really pushing it. Cape town, J'burg, Wine country, Kruger, Namibia and Victoria falls. Too much driving and maybe not doable with even flying. The distances are much further than you realize and much of the driving will be slower than you realize.

If you are set on Cape town, then fly in to cape town, spend 3 days. Then Fly up to walvis bay or windhoek. Then rent a car. Spend 9 days in Namibia (a fairly "short trip" so brief highlights only) and then fly to victoria falls for 2 days from windhoek (not easy to do and can be expensive with a fly through other places to get there).

The other option is to spend 2 days in cape town then fly up to walvis bay (I believe Air Namibia does it- or they used to). Rent a car, one way rental. Then spend time around Swakopmund (2 days) at the dunes there and don't head south to Sossusvlei. Then drive up to skeleton coast and across to damarland for 2 days. Then 3 days Etosha. 2 days driving to Caprivi and 2 days in Caprivi making it over to victoria falls for 2 days. That is a quick 15 days and about 1/3 of them will be driving, with some of them long. A little too rushed for me, but you may like that pace to see more of what you want.

If you could add a few days and then cut out a country, it would be a better pace.

The option of cape town, Jburg, Kruger and then victoria falls may make more sense. More expensive and less game viewing, but your time is somewhat limited.

I think you would prefer Botswana or Namibia over Kruger, but neither lends itself easily to Cape town and victoria falls in 2 weeks.

Windhoek, Windhoek...
Level Contributor
47 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Itinerary Thoughts?

Hi,

Depending at your budget, do a self drive(5-7days) in Cape Town and Winelands. Fly commercially to Windhoek and join a fly-in safari with a drop off for your flight back in Livingstone (Vic Falls). Otherwise to do this in 15 days will just not be possible. Or as Stephen say above do a combination of driving and flying safari with less time in SA.

Sunny greetings from Windhoek,

Marie

African Profile Safaris

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
1,361 posts
140 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Itinerary Thoughts?

Hi

The other way of doing it given time constraints is to focus on Cape Town, Vic Falls and do Chobe as your safari. This would be end of the wet season just start of dry in Northern Botswana so think mossies and malaria pills. Huge flow over Vic Falls so wont see as much of it as, say ,October. You would need a land transfer between Livingstone to Chobe over the Zambesi, exciting enough in itself.

The problem as always with Cape Town is that nice though it is, its not te starting point for a safari. The nearest reasonable place is Addo which you could do on an easy fly/drive basis.

As pointed out above you are then sacrificing Namibia, and its a strong willed person who would do that. I would put it first, above even Cape Town and the Vic Falls.

Where ever you go, investigate the game density of your chosen safari destination. They vary significantly and April can be a tricky month in some places.

By the way, you will love it.

Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for Washington DC
Level Contributor
1,987 posts
240 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Itinerary Thoughts?

I also so think 15 day is pushing it. Here is the logisitics of going to places you mentioned with the minimum times I think would do them justice. Total is 27 days. I really recommend you wither cut your trip in half in terms of distance or... double the time of your trip.

I would advise at least 3 full days in Cape Town ( more if you want to do Shark diving because its out of town)

1 Day drive

A couple hour in wine country will suffice

1 Day- Fly Jburg ( 3 hour flight like 100 dollars so cheep)

J'burg - 3 days ( Soweto, museums)

1 day- fly Windohoek- rent car

1 day- drive Swakapmond

Swakapmond- 2 days- go out on the dunes ( quad bike, sky dive etc)

Soussevlei( SP)- 1 day

2 day Drive - Etosha

Etosha- 2 days ( stay at two night watering holes)

1 day drive Chobe

1 day Chobe

1 day drive Okavago Delta

2 Days Okavango Delta

1 day drive Vic Falls ( not far actually)

4 days Victoria Falls

Windhoek, Namibia
Level Contributor
324 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Itinerary Thoughts?

I would say you have 3 safari options

1: 15 Day namibia trip, starting from windhoek and ending in Vic Falls

2: Doing South Africa for 15 days

3: 15 days Namibia & Botswana combination, starting windhoek and ending Vic Falls

6. Re: Itinerary Thoughts?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 January 2014, 07:17