We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

9 Days Trip - What area?

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
3 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
9 Days Trip - What area?

Hi,

This next june I'll be travelling Namibia and Botswana for my honeymoon.

I'll have 9 days in Namibia. I would like to do it "Self-driving" and camp most of the time. Maybe one or two hotels stops - beginning - middle -end.

I know 9 days is short to travel Namibia but I've already booked Botswana.

So my questions are:

What area would you recommend to focus on?

I'm interested in seeing either Sossulsvlei- Damaraland or Kaokoland.

I don't want to rush and I'm not really interested in Etosha as we will be travelling to Botswana.

Let me precise, that I'm pretty sure I'll be travelling Namibia again.

Thanks for your advices

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
37,001 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 9 Days Trip - What area?

Well you can certainly fit in Ssossusvlei and Damaraland in 9 days self drive.

2 days south to the sand pit, back via Swakopmund to Damaraland. Etosha and Botswana are so different you may regret not going to the former but of course save the best til last for when you go again.

Nashville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
2,264 posts
201 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 9 Days Trip - What area?

I agree with mfuwe about all of the above. I think you will regret not seeing etosha since it is the biggest attraction in Namibia and an amazing park.

How many days do you really want to spend looking at large piles of sand? One was plenty for me. Two with the extra activities and then we moved on to Damarland. 3 days minimum there. Desert elephant tracking and rhino trecking are both great from that area.

Windhoek, Namibia
Level Contributor
324 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: 9 Days Trip - What area?

well if you sure to come back to Namibia, i would suggest you focus on the south of Namibia

Kalahari Kgalagadi - 2-3 nights

Fish river - 1 night

aus - 2 nights , day visit to Luderitz

Sossusvlei - 2 nights

Swakopmund 2 nights

then when you return focus on the north western parts, which is the best of Namibia

Namibia
Level Contributor
557 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 9 Days Trip - What area?

I agree, Etosha is one of Namibia's highlights, but I understand why you don't want to visit it as you will see lots of wildlife in Botswana. Etosha is completely different than Botswana, but you said that one day you will come back to Namibia and than hopefully it will be on your to do list.

Not visiting Etosha, 9 days could just be enough to visit different areas in Namibia.

Kaokoland maybe is not an option as it's too far and will add a lot of driving, but Damaraland is an option and really a must.

I reckon you land in Windhoek coming from Johannesburg. Depending if you flew from the US to Johannesburg and directly to Windhoek, I would recommend one night in Windhoek to relax a bit. If you spend some time in SA before and you are fresh and ready, than hit the road after landing and spend time in the bush straight away.

Here's what I think could work for you:

1. Windhoek or Kalahari

2. Sossusvlei

3. Sossuslvei

4. Swakopmund

5. Swakopmund

6. Damaraland

7. Damaraland

8. Damaraland

9. Erongo Mountains

10. Drive back to Windhoek Airport and on to Botswana - also depending how you are getting to Botswana and when you flighty leaves.

More than this I would not recommend and you will get so see some very nice areas in Namibia, spend some times in the dunes, Swakopmund has some very nice activities and day tours, Damaraland is amazing with desert elephant and rhino tracking possibilities. Erongo Mountains are a nice stop over on your way back to Windhoek, but it's also very scenic and beautiful.

Clive

Suricate Safaris

5. Re: 9 Days Trip - What area?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 February 2014, 06:15