We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

African Budget Safari for trip to Namibia

Milan, Italy
Level Contributor
14 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
African Budget Safari for trip to Namibia

Hi, I have read of many recommendations of tour operators but they are all too expensive for my budget. The best offer I found is of "African Budget Safari". They offer different kinds of travel, from the very very basic to the "less" basic ones.

We plan a 21 days trip from Cape Town to Namibia.

I would choose a mid/high range travel of this agency but I'm not sure it is comfortable enough, we are 4 friends, "senior" travellers (from 47 to 61).

Is there anyone who knows African Budget Safari? If yes, would you recommend it?

Is there any other travel organization not too much expensive but still comfortable you wold suggest?

Thank you so much for any advice and help!!

Namibia Tours & Safaris
Nature & Wildlife Tours, Safaris
Wild Dog Safaris
Chameleon Safaris Namibia - Day Tours
Wild Wind Safaris
Nashville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
2,276 posts
212 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: African Budget Safari for trip to Namibia

I would still recommend the 4 most common posters on this board (Gemma, Clive, Chris, charlotte). They all seem to offer budget camping safaris. If not, they can tell you who to use.

Namibia is one of the cheapest countries to do-it-yourself camping safari (and safest). IF you can't affords a self-drive, budget camp in Namibia from any of the 4 on here, then I don't think you can afford Namibia. They will save you money over doing it yourself. Car rental and a few bucks a day for the camp sight. Or, do a car with the tent on top.

What is your budget? Maybe that will help us.

Milan, Italy
Level Contributor
14 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: African Budget Safari for trip to Namibia

Thank you for your reply. We don't want do do it by ourselves, we'd rather have it organized by an agency or whatever. We also decided not to drive. I work 12 hours a day, during my 3 weeks holidays I'd like a bit of rest... :-)

We have a budget of about 4000 / 4500 $ all included, which means flights, extras, etc.

I think that African Budget Safari could suit us well, given the budget we have. I finally found, thanks to a friend tips, nice reviews on them.

But I still care and higly evaluate all your opinions, thank you all so much!!!!

Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for Washington DC
Level Contributor
2,376 posts
252 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: African Budget Safari for trip to Namibia

That is a very tight budget if you want luxury. You say 4000-4500 per person.

Plane Ticket : 2000

Vaccinations: 200

PRep for trip:300

Comfortable Hotels per night ( they are charged per person so no break here):100=2100

Food per day:30$= 700

Car rental: 100=.25 per mile`250 per person

As you can see you are well over your budget and these are best case

scenerios.

I would recommend either

1. Camping, if you already have gear or cna easily rent it, this will save massively in hotels

2. Shortening your trip or limiting your self to one country

If you were to only go to Namibia for 14 days and had a more focused trip, you would not loose as much on hotels and food, even the car would be cheaper because you are doing less driving

Limiting yourself to one country, avoids the costs associated with going the lonnnnng distance from Windhoek to Capetown ( either flight or 3-4 days drive leisurely which would eat up a lot of your trip)

3. Doing the same route with an overland company. IF you are considering camping, these companies can usually do it for cheaper. It also means you wont have to drive yourself and you will have someone to help cook. I recommend this one

Milan, Italy
Level Contributor
14 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: African Budget Safari for trip to Namibia

Where did you find the word "luxury" in my messages? :-)) Never thought I can afford Lodges in Namibia and, by the way, I think I will enjoy an African camping safari, for a change. Like the greats explorers of the past. I will make luxury trips in my next life, I fear...

I think I can make it. Maybe in a simple but still comfortable enough way.

First of all, the flights I found cost about 1300 $, second, luckily, the vaccinations costs the half, third, cutting the expenses here and there... Look at this program: it's not the most basic trip, it's one of the most relaxed (amongst the "non luxury" ones...). Obviously a little participation is required, but not too much compared to many other.

africanbudgetsafaris.com/exclusive-budget-sa…

Don't worry Travelgirl, I have travelled all around the world in a very comfortable way even though I was on a - relative - budget, I'm not the kind of tourist that write thousand of reviews complaining about the hairdo of the concierge in a 5 star hotel... I don't want my holiday to be a job but I can adjust my standards a little bit...

Thank you for your precious advices, I know that you are saying sensible things, but I'm a real stubborn, and I learned how to get the most from what I have. And I have a 3 weeks holiday to go lonnnnng distances :-) Never give up on dreams!!!!

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
38,534 posts
402 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: African Budget Safari for trip to Namibia

Ciao Lizard travellelr.

Go for it.

I am glad that you pointed out some of the mistakes in Travvllergorls post. It was better that you did.

Planes and vasccinations you dealt with. Don't give up. there are more savings for you.

Not sure what "Prep trip $300" is for? Forget it.4 pax comes to $1200 for what?

I stay in comfortable Lodges and I don't pay $100pp. Around N$1000 DBB for TWO.

Car rental (although you say you don't want to drive, I do think you would enjoy it. Autostrada it is not. Empty roads to the sky.)

Most Rentals come with unlimited mileage.

I hired a 4 seat Hi Luxe Car for NAM$300 per day. that is NAM$ or ZAR 75 or ZAR pp. 21 days = 1575 . Not sure of Xrate but call it US$160.

So happily I don't think you are over budget at $2200 for car and lodges. Even adding $1500 for flights and you don't break the $4000 mark.

And that is staying at decent places that I use.

coming down market if you wish will save more.

Good luck in your searches. I am sure Gemma, Clive Chris & Charlotte can work something out for you along these lines. I know one of them did well for me.

Milan, Italy
Level Contributor
14 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: African Budget Safari for trip to Namibia

Thanks Mfuwe for supporting my hopes!!!

Great suggestions, I will take it in great consideration and submit it to my friends!!

By the way, maybe is plenty of indications in the forum but I'm in trouble: 7.30 PM and I'm still in the office - and I will stay a couple of hours more - I'm in lack of sleep as I'm surfing on Trip Advisor until late in night and I have a meeting tomorrow evening with my friends to decide about the trip.

May I ask someone to help me and give me a shortcut - an indication - on how to reach Gemma, Clive Chris & Charlotte?

Thank you!!!

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
38,534 posts
402 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: African Budget Safari for trip to Namibia

Most welcome. and it is time you went home to Dinner.

to contact those four names is easy.

they post regularly on here and you simply go onto their 'profile' and send a Personal Message.

However Gemma is the Destination Expert mentioned on the right of this page. Also contactable through her Agency www.discover-namibia-safari.net

or bookings@discover-namibia-safaris.com

Not sure I can 'reveal' the others and stay within TA protocol but here goes:

Charlotte Bond. A.T.I. www.infotour-africa.com

Chris. Namvic tours. www.namvicsafaris.com

Clive. Suricate Safaris. www.suricate-safaris.com

I suppose to be impartial I should have arranged them in A-Z order but this is just how I wrote them down.

Good luck and keep the dream. One of them will make it come true.

M

Milan, Italy
Level Contributor
14 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: African Budget Safari for trip to Namibia

Thank you!!! I will inform you on our final choice, you have been such a great help to me!! It is so wonderful to find people all over the world keen to get in touch and offer help, It's amazing!!

P.S. I'm still in the office....

Nashville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
2,276 posts
212 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: African Budget Safari for trip to Namibia

I think you have started a great vacation! Please don't be discouraged abou tdriving in Namibia. If you really don't want to do it, then do what you are comfortable with. However, when I staretd my research on my first trip to Namibia, I was absolutely sure I did not want to drive myself. After doing it, I am absolutely glad I was talked in to driving myself by the people on this forum.

Mfuwe has given you the contacts and I feel like you can stay within the budget and have a really good trip. I would skip the budget camping unless you are set on that. We stayed in some "tents" in various areas (Dolomite, Mowani, Mushara) and still had white linen, 4 poster beds, permanent toilets and hot water with electricity. We had the great experience of tents (4meter x6 meter tents) but had semi-luxury as well. The conversion rates are pretty good right now, so you will be able to get a pretty good bang for your buck.

Food is pretty cheap there. Lodging is relatively cheap.

I would say that you will save quite a bit on budget if you stick to just Namibia. There is plenty to see and do over 21 days (in fact, too much for just 21 days).

Get out of the office, spend more time on TA :) and enjoy the planning!

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
38,534 posts
402 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: African Budget Safari for trip to Namibia

And don't worry about driving n the 'wrong' side of the road. I do it all the time.