We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Malaria and pregnant women - Namibia April

Sao Paulo
Level Contributor
7 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Malaria and pregnant women - Namibia April

Hi, I just found out that I'm 6 weeks pregnant (yes, my husband and I are very (very) happy). We are going to Namibia next week for a 12 day trip (we'll arrive on April 12 and departure on April 23). My itinerary shall be:

1 night in Windwoek (The Elegante Guesthouse)

3 nights at Onguma The Fort

1 night at Ongava tended Camp

2 nights at Mowami Mountain Camp

1 night at Swakopmund Guest house

3 nights at Sossusvlei Desert Lodge

I've been told that the only Malaria zone is Etosha (and a place called Caprivi) and the places that we are going to stay are "borders" so if I use repellent, mosquito net and take precaution is fine. Any tip? How about the itinerary, is it a good one?

We'll drive to all places except to Sossusvlei, which we'll get there by airplane.

One more question: any restaurant recommendation in windhoek and swakopmund? All kind of tips, recommendations, advice are more than welcome!

many thanks!

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,793 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Malaria and pregnant women - Namibia April

<<< I've been told that the only Malaria zone is Etosha (and a place called Caprivi) and the places that we are going to stay are "borders" so if I use repellent, mosquito net and take precaution is fine >>>

Was the person who told you this a doctor who knows your medical history, and who knows about malaria in Namibia?

If not, I would ignore it, and talk to a doctor who knows your medical history and about malaria in Namibia.

Sorry to be blunt, but this is a travel forum. No-one can really say if its fine to risk the health of your unborn child.

Great itinerary. If I was pregnant, I would skip Etosha.

Sao Paulo
Level Contributor
7 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Malaria and pregnant women - Namibia April

Peter, thanks for your email. Yes you were very "blunt" and honestly rude as well. I don't know if you had the opportunity to read my whole post, I believe that not... so next time, before you be rude to someone, think twice.

Nashville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
2,267 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Malaria and pregnant women - Namibia April

I agree with Peter. I wouldn't go to Etosha if pregnant. If you didn;t want his opinion, then don't post the question. Ask a travel doctor and follow the advice. He wasn't rude, but yes he was blunt. I will be blunter, why endanger your unborn child? Skip Etosha and stay south. The malaria zome is all northern Namibia including almost all of Etosha and areas east and west of it.

Otherwise, your itinerary is fine. We loved Mowani and the sundowners is worth going to each evening. We also tracked desert elephant from there and loved it. If you have time, do it there.

Christchurch, New...
Level Contributor
329 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Malaria and pregnant women - Namibia April

Congratulations on your pregnancy!

I agree that the place you should be going to for advice about malaria & travelling in Namibia while pregnant is a travel doctor/clinic, not a web forum. I am a doctor and that is what I would do.

The rate of serious complication and death from falciparum malaria in pregnancy is much higher than in nonpregnant women, but prophylaxis can also cause issues during pregnancy (especially first trimester). Get yourself the right information from a qualified person so you can make your own decision.

Hermanus, South...
Destination Expert
for Namibia
Level Contributor
1,650 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Malaria and pregnant women - Namibia April

Firstly congrats! Secondly technically it is very low risk at that time of year, but that doesn't mean there is no risk. If it were me then honestly I wouldn't take the slightest chance. Malaria and pregnant women just don't mix at all. It just is not worth taking the chance.

You can see good game in Namibia in malaria free areas. Maybe consider Erindi Game Reserve....or parks in Sa like Addo or Madikwe.

Sao Paulo
Level Contributor
7 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Malaria and pregnant women - Namibia April

Many thanks!

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,793 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Malaria and pregnant women - Namibia April

I'm sorry you felt my message was rude - it wasn't intended. I see 3 others give the same advice.

This question has been asked many times on here, and it always surprises me why people would ask, in effect, is it worth risking the health of my unborn baby so I can go on holiday?

What are we supposed to say? "Sure, why not?"

There are plenty of places to go on holiday that don't have malaria. But, in reality, it is your choice what you do.

Concord...
Level Contributor
61 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Malaria and pregnant women - Namibia April

I have never been to Namibia! This said, I have lived for years in the South African African bush [Mainly Kruger area), worked and traveled around Botswana and Zimbabwe, including the times when my wife was pregnant. The following link is probably the better source for your decision making process and details which drugs can be taken by pregnant women: www.cdc.gov/malaria/travelers/drugs.html

If I were you, I would happily go on with my travel plans - including Etosha. I would follow the instructions regarding Malaria avoidance to the letter, without ever taking any shortcuts: Long sleeves and pants at all times. Sleep under mosquito net, use a good mosquito repellent and be extra careful at early morning and dusk. It is your call whether or not to add drugs to the formula, though I suggested to my wife not to. None of my colleagues who live their entire life in Malaria zones take prophylaxis on an ongoing basis and they happily give birth to healthy kids, of course. On the other hand, if you think that you might not be able to follow the "rules" and keep all your body parts well covered at all times, maybe the trip should be avoided altogether.

Enjoy.

9. Re: Malaria and pregnant women - Namibia April

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 April 2014, 05:15